MATS, LOUISVILLE -- The new EPIQ package for the Model 579, which was introduced in 2012, provides a combination of technologies and components that allow customers to easily order and operate the most fuel efficient Model 579 available.
According to Landon Sproull, Peterbilt chief engineer, the EPIQ package can improve fuel efficiency of the Model 579 by up to 10%. “It utilizes an enhanced drivetrain – including Peterbilt’s new combination of the Paccar MX-13 Engine and Fuller Advantage UltraShift transmission – all available aerodynamic options and optimized spec’ing through our proprietary software system used throughout our dealer network,” he said.
The EPIQ package includes:
- Complete Aerodynamic Package: This feature combines all fairings and aerodynamically enhanced components available for the Model 579. The fairings include 18-inch sleeper side extenders with 8-inch rubber flares; full chassis fairings with rubber skirts from the quarter fender to the front of the tandem axle with rubber closeouts under the sides of the cab and sleeper; and roof fairings with an exclusive rear wall closeout. Aerodynamically enhanced components include a three-piece aero-style bumper; multi-piece aero-style hood; painted outside sun visor; and an aero-style aluminum battery box positioned on the passenger side, under the cab.
- Paccar MX-13 Engine: The MX-13 Engine delivers improved fuel economy through electronically controlled fuel injection pumps and high pressure rail technology.
- Fuller Advantage Automated Transmission: The Paccar MX-13 Engine is available in a new drivetrain pairing, designated as Apex, with the Fuller Advantage Automated Transmission that is part of the EPIQ model. This new combination features precise communication between the engine and transmission, as well as proprietary control logic to further enhance fuel economy. Apex is also available on other Peterbilt products.
- Single Horizontal Exhaust: To further increase aerodynamic performance, the EPIQ package recommends a single horizontal exhaust configuration or a single right-hand back-of-sleeper exhaust configuration.
- SmarTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System: TPMS monitors the pressure and temperature of each tire and will warn the operator of tire-related problems.
- Low Rolling Resistance Tires: Another way tires can improve fuel economy is by minimizing friction between tires and the road. Low Rolling Resistance Tires are designed to do this and are available on the Model 579 spec’d with the EPIQ package.
- Optimized Spec’ing Software: Peterbilt and its dealer network use a proprietary spec’ing system to optimize vehicle performance and exactly match customers’ business and application requirements. This software has been enhanced to complement the Model 579 EPIQ by recommending the most fuel efficient rear axle ratios and engine settings, among other options.