September 19, 2023
Garth Pitzel on Bison Transport’s Phenomenal Safety Record [Video]
Bison Transport is arguably the safest large fleet in North America. The company has taken home the Truckload Carriers Association Grand Prize fleet safety award for large carrier fleets for 13 years in a row and has won top honors no less than 16 times in all. In this episode, you’ll meet one of the architects of Bison’s safety master plan, Garth Pitzel.
This episode of HDT Talks Trucking is sponsored by Double Coin
And by CAT Scale. Learn more about its WeighMyTruck app.
Bison Transport is a big believer in leveraging technology to improve safety, but the real focus of the safety program is the driver. Garth says when fleets talk about protecting their assets most people are referring to the truck, the trailer, and the customer’s freight.
“At Bison, we talk about protecting our people. When the driver makes it home safely from trip so does the truck, the trailer, and the customer’s freight.”
Watch this Episode of HDT Talks Trucking to Learn:
- The difference between compliant and safe.
- How Bison turned itself around and never looked back
- How important driver engagement really is
- Why the safety culture matters
- The value of assessing and improving driver skills, not just performance
- Why it pays to invest in driver training
- How the right-to-decide turned Bison around
More About Bison Transport