The Illinois DOT has said it's best to avoid the city, especially downtown and South Loop. It's also placing certain restrictions on oversize and overweight loads.
Effective May 18-22, all oversize and overweight loads are prohibited on the expressway and ramps on:
- All roadways from Damen Ave. East to Lake Michigan and from 39th Street North to IL 64 (North Ave.)
- I-90 Chicago-(Kennedy Expressway) I-90 to IL-64:
- I-94 Chicago-(Kennedy Expressway) I-90 (West junction )to IL-64
- I-190 Chicago O'Hare To I-90 (Kennedy Expressway)
There also will be intermittent traffic delays and temporary closures on interstate roads and throughout the downtown area beginning on Saturday, May 19, until Monday, May 21, to allow motorcades to travel to and from McCormick Place and other event sites. The major roadways affected by these intermittent closures include:
* I-90 East & West (Kennedy Expressway) between O'Hare International Airport and downtown
* Ohio Street from I-90/94 to Fairbanks Court/Columbus Drive
* Ontario Street from Fairbanks Court/Columbus Drive to I-90/94
* I-90/94 East and West between downtown and I-55
* Roosevelt Road, 18th Street, and Canalport Avenue access from I-94 West (Dan Ryan Expressway outbound)
About 10,000 people, including about 2,000 journalists, are expected to come to Chicago for the summit. That estimate does not include anti-NATO protesters.