The team is composed of professional truck drivers with superior safety records who are also intelligent and articulate. Created in 1986 to represent the trucking industry, America's Road Team is now sponsored by Volvo Trucks North America.
The 34 drivers will move on to the final round of the selection process, scheduled for Jan. 9-11, 2011, in Arlington, Va., ATA officials explained. A panel of trucking industry officials and trucking news media will judge the finalists on their knowledge of the trucking industry, their dedication to safety, their ability to communicate trucking's messages and overall safe driving record.
The three-day competition will culminate with a new team of captains receiving the signature navy blue Road Team blazer. The captains then begin their two-year terms working to share a message of safety, essentiality to the economy, and sustainability with the public. That includes motorists, fellow drivers, news media reporters and editors, business and community leaders, and public officials, ATA officials said.
"America's Road Team Captains are an incredible voice for the trucking industry. They represent the best of the best," said ATA's president and CEO, Bill Graves. "The 33 professional drivers selected as finalists have remarkable safety records, are passionate about the industry, and are dedicated to making our nation's highways safer. ATA is honored to have these professional drivers participate in this prestigious selection process to become a Captain of the America's Road Team."
To be nominated to serve as an America's Road Team Captain, a professional truck driver must be employed or leased to an ATA-member company, ATA said. Each nominee must have an excellent safety record and demonstrate an ability to communicate his or her commitment to safety and enthusiasm for the industry.
"As candidates who have spent millions of miles behind the wheel, these true professionals bring a unique perspective - and credibility - to our industry's messages of safety and essentiality," said Ron Huibers, senior vice president for sales and marketing, Volvo Trucks North America.
"Volvo is proud to recognize their sincere dedication to making our roadways safer places and promoting the positive image of the professional truck driver. We applaud their employers, who demonstrate their commitment to safety and industry image by supporting the America's Road Team program."
The finalists are:
* Julian F. Alexander, YRC, Chicago Heights, Ill.
* Willie Atkinson, Con-way Freight, Florence, S.C.
* Gary G. Babbitt, Central Freight Lines, Irving, Tex.
* Raleigh Barber, Con-way Freight, Atlanta, Ga.
* Joe Allen Boyd, Wal-Mart Transportation, Mt. Crawford, Va.
* David Boyer, ABF Freight System, Wytheville, Va.
* Randall Dee Briggs, YRC, West Valley City, Utah
* Danny Fuller, Con-way Freight, Jonesboro, Ark.
* Ronald Carl Fuller, Central Freight Lines, Irving, Tex.
* Aaron R. Garvey, A&M Transport, Glendale, Ore.
* Earl Wayne Harnage, Con-way Freight, Tampa, Fla.
* Albert Hocket, Con-way Freight, Rolla, Mo.
* Richard W. Kennedy, Schneider National, Charlotte, N.C.
* David Knight, Publix Supermarkets, Jacksonville, Fla.
* Gary R. Konen, Wal-Mart Transportation, Beaver Dam, Wis.
* Samuel Douglas Lee, Old Dominion Freight Line, Greensboro, N.C.
* Alphonso Lewis, YRC, Montgomery, Ala.
* Kenny Lowry, Wal-Mart Transportation, Laurens, S.C.
* Dennis Martin, UPS Freight, Gaffney, S.C.
* Nate McCarty, ABF Freight System, Denver, Colo.
* Tim McElwaney, ABF Freight System, Conley, Ga.
* Chad Miller, ABF Freight System, Sauk Village, Ill.
* John "J.C." Miller, YRC, Kernersville, N.C.
* Roger Nicholson, UPS Freight, Savannah, Ga.
* J.W. Ray, Werner Enterprises, Omaha, Neb.
* Dion Saiz, FedEx Freight, Albuquerque, N.M.
* Jeffrey Wade, Southeastern Freight Lines, Summerville, S.C.
* Brooks Washburn, FedEx Freight, Albuquerque, N.M.
* Clarence Weeks, AAA Cooper Transportation, Ocala, Fla.
* Robert Weller, Hahn Transportation, New Market, Md.
* Dale M. Williams, Trimac Transportation South, Bessemer, Ala.
* Gary August Wilson, FedEx Ground, Halenthorpe, Md.
* Kerry M. Wilson, UPS Freight, Hickory, N.C.
* Scott Woodrome, FedEx National LTL, Dayton, Ohio