Goodyear is accepting nominations for its 31st North America Goodyear Highway Hero Award at www.goodyeartrucktires.com through Nov. 29
The Goodyear Highway Hero Award honors truck drivers who put themselves in harm’s way to help others. Goodyear will announce the 31st Goodyear Highway Hero Award winner during the 2014 Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, Ky.
The winner will receive a $5,000 cash prize, a custom Goodyear Highway Hero ring and other honors.
The Goodyear Highway Hero Award was created in 1983 to help elevate the image of the trucking industry and recognize truck drivers for their courage and selflessness.
Last year’s Goodyear Highway Hero Award winner, Jason Harte, rescued a family of six, including four children, from a crushed minivan. The previous year’s Goodyear Highway Hero Award recipient, Mike Schiotis, rescued a woman from a gun-wielding attacker.
Other past winners include a driver who pulled an elderly man from a car moments before it was destroyed by on oncoming train, a driver who rescued two girls who were trapped in a burning vehicle, and a driver who dove into a pond to save a child who was stuck in a rapidly sinking car.
To nominate a truck driver for the 31st North America Goodyear Highway Hero Award, click on this link, fill out the online Highway Hero registration form, and send your candidate directly to Goodyear. For consideration, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a full-time truck driver,
- Must reside in the U.S. or Canada,
- The incident must have occurred in the U.S. or Canada,
- Nominee’s truck at the time of the incident must have had 12 wheels or more,
- Nominee must have been on the job – or on the way to or from work in his or her truck – at the time of the incident, and
- Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2012, and Nov. 16, 2013, to qualify for this year’s program.
After the Highway Hero nomination period ends, the list of eligible Highway Hero Award candidates will be narrowed down to four finalists. A panel of trucking industry judges will then select the 31st North America Goodyear Highway Hero, who will be revealed March 2014 during a special event at MATS.