A new fuel efficiency package is now available on the 4900 series trucks with set-back front axles and 129-inch-BBC specs. The FE package includes a more aerodynamic high-visibility hood; chrome wrap-around bumper; under hood air cleaners; and horizontal or back-of-sleeper exhaust. Power options for the FE model include Detroit Diesel DD13 and DD15 engines with BlueTec SCR technology in features ratings up to 530 horsepower and 1,850 pounds-feet. The 4900FE is now available to order with a variety of Western Star sleeper and day cab configurations.
"The new 4900FE helps heavy haul and bulk operators gain aerodynamic benefits without sacrificing many of the suspension and powertrain ratings they need for their applications," said Guy Lemieux, marketing segment manager, Western Star. "The new package not only enhances fuel efficiency, but provides options without being overly restrictive on component requirements."
Western Star also introduced a new auto hauler package in EPA 2010 trim with a low 101.4-inch cab-to-ground height -- without needing third-party modifications to the cab roof. It is now available to order in a 123- and 132-inch-BBC in day-cab or sleeper configurations with no compromise to the spacious, full-height headroom and convenient sleeper access that Western Star customers have come to expect, the company says. Available sleeper options include 40-, 54- and 68-inch models.
The Western Star auto hauler package is equipped with Cummins ISX15 engines with ratings from 400 to 600 horsepower and up to 2,050 pounds-feet of torque.
"Our custom-built, specialized chassis components provide auto hauler customers with the exacting specifications they require, and combined with the power and reliability of 2010 engine technology, we're providing our customers with the complete solution for the job," said Ann Demitruk, Western Star's director of marketing.
Body-Builder Friendly Options
Western Star has also introduced a package of options intended to make life easier and more efficient for body builder and upfitters. The new options will provide additional clean back-of-cab clearance and increase operational efficiency between the chassis and body.
The new options include:
* A 13-gallon diesel exhaust fluid tank that takes up less space on the frame and reduces weight. The smaller tank also increases back-of-cab clearance for ease of body upfit. Available to order now on Western Star 4900 set-forward truck models with 123-inch BBC.
* A single position, in-cab, three-battery box-seat provides frees up chassis space for fuel and body components by placing the AGM batteries in the cab. The battery cables are routed through the floor and under the deck. The configuration also offers better protection against the harsh environment and regular stress loads experienced on batteries mounted outboard of the chassis rail. The in-cab three-battery box seat is now available to order on Western Star day cab and up to 40-inch sleeper truck models equipped with DD13 and ISX engines.
To complement the renewed emphasis on the Western Star brand, the company has introduced at new website with an easy-to-remember URL: WesternStar.com. It features a detailed overview of Western Star's full line of trucks and associated components, including application and model-specific specs. The website's graphics and dramatic images capture the unique look and feel of Western Star and its 40-year brand heritage.
"We wanted to create an interactive resource that would help our customers and fans experience our complete family of trucks and customization options, from the most extreme vocational to premium on-highway applications and everything in between," said Demitruk. "The new website includes tools specifically designed to help our customers choose the best solution for their job."
* Trucks: Searchable by application and model, visitors will find detailed specs and features for every Western Star product to determine the best truck for any need.
* Engines: The site features engine options for Western Star trucks, including Detroit Diesel and Cummins.
* Dealers: From North America to Australia, the website provides contact information for more than 395 Western Star dealers around the world.
* Components: Visitors to the Western Star website will find every component and proprietary option, from under the hood to inside the cab.
* Parts and Service: A complete list of parts and service locations within Western Star's dealer network can be found on the new site.
* Media: Visitors have access to all new product releases, also available through RSS feeds, as well as videos and customer testimonials.
* Social Media: Connect with Western Star on a more personal level through the company's various social media channels directly from the website, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.