The ATA President's Trophy recognizes the three companies whose fleets have been judged to have the best overall safety programs. The Truck & Industrial Safety Contests judge motor carriers from across the United States on their safety accomplishments and safety records relative to others within their operation type and size. The top three President's Trophy recipients are honored for their superior safety achievements, outstanding commitment to industrywide safety and extensive promotion of safety among all highway users.
The 2008 ATA President's Trophy went to:
* Large fleet winner (over 100 million miles annually)
Roehl Transport, Marshfield, Wis.
* Mid-size fleet winner (between 25-100 million miles annually)
Central Freight Lines, Waco, Texas
* Small fleet winner (under 25 million miles annually)
CLI Transport, Claysburg, Pa.
Other awards included:
* ATA National Driver of the Year: David J. May, Con-way Freight, West Seneca, N.Y.
* National Safety Director of the Year: Douglas R. Cook, Covenant Transport, Chattanooga, Tenn.
* Human Resources Professional of the Year: Leslie P. Lundberg, Con-way, Ann Arbor, Mich.
* Excellence in Safety Award: North Carolina Trucking Association
* Excellence in Human Resource Management: Roehl Transport, Marshfield, Wis.
* ATA S&LPMC Leadership Award: Douglas R. Cook, Covenant Transport, Chattanooga, Tenn.