Carrier Transicold said its new Aspen diesel auxiliary power unit provides a reliable way to deliver cab climate control and electrical power during rest breaks, thereby reducing fuel consumption and carbon emissions by eliminating truck idling.
“We designed the Aspen APU from the inside out for high performance, versatility, durability, reliability, and ease of use,” said Ryan Rubly, product manager – alternative power, Carrier Transicold.
Carrier Transicold said with a high-output generator at its core, the Aspen APU delivers a combination of standard capabilities — cab cooling, heating, and electric power, as well as automatic truck battery charging and engine preheating.
“We’ve added an easy-to-use control interface for drivers along with new APU configuration options for heating and hotel power loads,” said Rubly. “Technicians will appreciate our new CabinTech PC software that enables fast setup, service and troubleshooting of the Aspen APU.”
The Aspen APU is built with marine-grade components and enhanced alloys for strength and corrosion resistance. Automotive-grade, IP67-rated electronics protect against sand, dust, and water. A lightweight, corrosion-free injection-molded housing cover provides easy access to the power plant, even behind fairings.
Key features include:
- New programmable driver interface with an illuminated dial and backlit digital information display
- 12,000 BTU/h of cab cooling
- Greater heating versatility via the standard 8,200 BTU/h electric heater and a new option, the 7,000 BTU/h fuel-fired Carrier cabin heater.
- High-grade power from its own generator to provide household-quality electricity for appliances, computers, and more, which can now be augmented with an optional inverter to maintain hotel loads via the truck when it is moving.
Aspen APU Models
Carrier Transicold offers several models of the Aspen APU, including:
- An integrated system that uses coolant exchange for truck engine preheating.
- A stand-alone unit that powers the tractor’s block heater for engine heating.
- A power-only version for work trucks that need auxiliary power but don’t require cab climate control.
If equipped with an optional adapter, Aspen APUs can be operated using 115-volt shore power when the truck is parked, eliminating the need to run the APU engine for added fuel savings.