ConMet announced product and capability expansion plans for each business unit.
“Our approach to innovation is to disrupt ourselves by looking inward, analyzing and improving our own products and services,” said Beto Dantas, ConMet chief technology and innovation officer. “We have dedicated teams responsible for pursuing and verifying novel technology concepts to feed into our business units, ultimately allowing us to provide exciting new solutions to our customers.”
ConMet’s proprietary PreSet Plus hub assemblies are first-fit in most North American commercial vehicles. The assemblies are engineered using cutting-edge technology to achieve the precise levels of bearing adjustment and calibration.
- The new PreSet Plus efficiency package will be optimized with a proprietary low-drag seal and advanced bearings to further decrease resistance at the wheel end.
- ConMet has developed a coated, flat rotor to improve corrosion resistance in high-heat brake rotor applications, reducing wear and tear while extending rotor life.
ConMet’s casting business supports OEM-proprietary designs, from concept to full production, of aluminum and iron castings. The company has expanded manufacturing capabilities and capacity in its North American foundries, utilizing advanced materials science and innovative casting and machining processes to enhance ConMet’s cast product offerings further.
ConMet’s plastics business is a full-service offering, supporting OEM-proprietary designs and leveraging design and manufacturing expertise. Many existing processes have been expanded, improved, and/or automated, including:
- Full in-house validation and testing with additive printing capabilities to generate prototypes.
- Broad production capabilities with presses varying from 120 to 4,400 tonnes that include modern materials, textures, primer and topcoat painting, and hydrographic finishes.
ConMet continues to expand its global reach, developing transformative technologies for commercial vehicles in North America, Europe and Asia.
ConMet expanded into China over 10 years ago to meet the need for reliable wheel end systems with PreSet technology in the China market. Today, PreSet wheel ends are standard or an option on 8 of the top 10 Chinese heavy-duty truck OEM vehicle platforms.
ConMet’s recent European expansion focuses on optimized, lightweight wheel end solutions and aluminum chassis components. As the European market focus on sustainability and electrification grows, ConMet’s unique lightweight offering can meet these market trends and needs.
Established in 2019 with the introduction of PreSet Plus SmartHub, ConMet Digital has been expanding its suite of products, leveraging the vehicle network, and making updates that enhance fleet integration. Available now is the:
- PreSet Plus SmartHub
- SmartTrack asset management
- SmartAir TPMS
- An enhanced fleet management experience across the ConMet Digital online dashboard that provides each user with more customized and more easily consumed data to promote uptime and safety. Dashboard improvements include added reports, asset summaries, and simplified historical trend charts.
- The ConMet Digital Driver App will be available on Google Play and Apple Store for smartphones and tablets, providing drivers with an optimized view of the data needed to increase accuracy of and speed up pre-trip inspections, determine when to take action during a route, and streamline communication between the driver and the service team.
- In Development: SmartAir axle load and SmartAir line pressure monitoring.
Since the release of the PreSet Plus eHub in 2020, ConMet’s team of eMobility experts have driven to expand electrification options for fleets seeking a path to reducing emissions and meeting demanding regulations.
ConMet eMobility is expanding the PreSet Plus eHub system’s array of customizable options, meeting each fleet’s specific operational needs based on routes and assets. The eHub technology is currently available through a partnership with Carrier Transicold as the key power generation source for the Vector eCool system, enabling zero-emission refrigeration.
An electronic wheel hub disconnect technology has been developed that, when incorporated in an electric drive axle, enables 6×4 to 4×2 conversion via electronic switch or automated by speed via software controls. This new technology helps to extend EV vehicle battery range when applied at highway speeds and can also be used for easy transport of new tractors.
“This is like variable cylinder displacement technology, but for BEVs,” said ConMet’s Dantas during a TMC press conference. “If an electric truck has four-wheel drive, it doesn’t need power going to all four wheels at cruise speed. Our system disconnects unneeded axles to help conserve battery life and extend vehicle range.”