A winning essay put Tiffany Hanna behind the wheel of her new Volvo truck thanks to Women in Trucking and Arrow Truck Sales.
Tiffany Hanna, a professional truck driver and trainer at Prime, Inc. is now an owner-operator thanks to the Women in Trucking Association (WIT) and Arrow Truck Sales. Hanna was selected from a pool of applicants who submitted an essay on the importance of attracting more women into the trucking industry.
Hanna has been an advocate for female drivers at Prime, Inc. and serves on the Prime Driver Advisory Board. She is also active with the Highway Diamonds celebration hosted by Prime, Inc. annually to honor their female drivers. Hanna is a U.S. Navy Veteran, the mother of 5 children and a three-time cancer survivor. She has 17 years driving experience during her military carrier, and six years as a commercial driver.
In her winning essay, Hanna wrote, “Women need to know they can be successful in trucking and can do the job just as well if not better than a man.”
She credits her mother, who has been driving trucks for 30 years, with kindling her interest in a driving career. This win will open the door to a new phase in her career, switching from company driver to owner-operator, but she doesn't expect anything to really change.
“I'm going to keep training and trying to get more women interested in trucking, and to show them that with a little hard work this is what you can accomplish," Hanna said. "[This truck] is definitely a blessing.”
WIT President/CEO, Ellen Voie, announced the winner on March 24, 2018 during the 9th annual “Salute to Women Behind the Wheel,” at the Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, Kentucky.
“We are thrilled to hand over the keys to Tiffany, who has been an advocate for women in the trucking industry by mentoring and supporting the women and men at Prime, Inc.," said Voie. "This is truly the chance of a lifetime, thanks to Arrow Truck Sales and their very generous donation."
Jim Stevenson, Arrow Director of National Accounts, also serves on the Women In Trucking Board of Directors. “Arrow has long been supportive of equality and diversity efforts within the trucking industry," said Stevenson. "We appreciate the opportunity to award Tiffany with this late model Volvo truck to support her success as an owner-operator.”
In addition to the truck, she received an extensive list of products from WIT member companies:
- ATBS: One year “RumbleStrip Essentials” financial services
- Belmor: Gift certificate: Bug Screen, Winterfront, Hood Shield, Side Window Deflector
- Blue Beacon Truck Washes: Blue Beacon tractor wash/Rain-x service each month
- Citadel Fleet Safety: Citadel Kit and 24 Months service
- Drivewyze: Lifetime subscription to Drivewyze Pre Clear Weigh Station Bypass Service
- FlowBelow: Tractor AeroKit wheel fairings and wheel covers
- Michelin: 10 BF Goodrich tires
- National Truck Protection: One year/120k mile engine warranty
- One year After Treatment system warranty
- Rand McNally: OverDryve 8 Pro & one-year Sirius/XM subscription
- Roadworks: Gift certificate: 3 sets of Roadworks Detail Products, Sun Visor, Trim
- Sunrise Bedding/The Pillow Topper: Mattress Topper
- Travel Centers of America/Petro Stopping Centers:
- First fuel tank fill and Platinum loyalty status for one year
- Velvac: Road IQ Connected Vehicle Vision Platform
- Wired Truck: Omnitracs IVG unit
See all comments