March 27, 2023
How Will EPA’s 2027 Ultra-Low-NOx Rule Affect Trucking?
EPA's new diesel emissions rule sets very aggressive NOx reduction targets and gives engine makers a very short timeline to get it done. How will these changes affect fleets and truck makers?
The Environmental Protection Agency published its final rule on diesel engine NOx emissions late last year. Equipment Editor Jim Park talks with Patrick Couch, senior vice president of technical services at clean transportation consultants Gladstein, Neandross & Associates (GNA). He says the transition to ultra-low NOx engines will be manageable, but not without hurdles.
In This Episode:
- Can we build a low-NOx engine that keeps everybody happy?
- What happens if the engine makers can’t deliver?
- Will there be an alternative to Low-NOx diesels available before 2027?
- Can natural gas engines fill the gap?
- Is there a risk of a significant pre-buy?
🏫 More About EPA's 2027 Low-NOx rule