Alcoa Wheels unveiled its new Aerodynamic Solutions at the American Trucking Associations’ Technology & Maintenance Council meeting in Orlando, Florida.
The steer wheel cover and the drive wheel cover plus wheel add aerodynamic advantages to Alcoa wheels, provide fuel savings by reducing air drag, are durable, easy to install, and allow for seamless wheel inspections, according to the company.
“The goal for Alcoa Wheels’ Aerodynamic Solutions is more than just designing an aerodynamic cover that saves fuel,” said Nathalie Tessier, general manager Alcoa Wheels. “It is important that we provide an innovation that offers significant fuel savings and efficiencies while also addressing and finding resolution for maintenance, installation and performance concerns identified by fleets.”
Aerodynamic Steer Cover
This patent-pending design is engineered to push air away from the tire/wheel and vehicle, limiting aerodynamic drag. Backed by rigorous testing, including Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), wind tunnel and test track analysis, the new cover enhances performance compared to a full-wheel cover or no cover at all, according to Alcoa.
- Saves up to 0.35 gallons of fuel per 1,000 miles
- Estimated $120 annual fuel savings per truck based on 100,000 miles per year and $3.50-per-gallon fuel.
- Two-year warranty
- Compatible with all 10 x 285.75mm bolt circle wheels
- Durable retention system
- Available in matte black and chrome finishes
Aerodynamic Drive Cover + Wheel
An exclusive cover-plus-wheel system, this cover is designed for the 22.5” x 8.25” and 22.5” x 14” wheels, part numbers ULA18x, 84U61x and 84U64x.
The cover’s design improves fuel efficiency but weighs less than comparable solutions, according to Alcoa.
Its innovative design features a unique approach to attachment. The cover provides a measurement-free installation process. Initial system installation takes less than four minutes per wheel, according to Alcoa, with one-time ring installation. Camloc ¼ turn Quick Release Fasteners lock and unlock in seconds.
It is also affixed to a ring, which is secured in the flange groove of the wheel (patent-pending flange design), leaving the hub unburdened by heavy brackets and ensuring appropriate mounting consistency.
The cover features a 9-inch inspection opening, which allows for a clear view of all wheel-end components, eliminating the need for wheel cover removal during pre-trip, post-trip, road-side inspections and tire inflation.
- Saves up to 0.96 gallons of fuel per 1,000 miles
- Estimated $350 annual fuel savings per truck based on 100,000 miles per year and $3.50-per-gallon fuel
- Proprietary flange mounted design ensures consistent offset position, which secures expected aerodynamic benefits consistently. Alcoa said existing offerings on the market are not conducive to providing consistent results.
- No challenging brackets attached to the wheel-end, resulting in measurement-free installation
- Available in Alcoa Wheels' advanced finishes high polish and matte black
Alcoa Wheels Aerodynamic Wheel Covers are intended to work as a complete system in order to maximize aerodynamic benefits and add up to a combined savings of up to 1.31 gallons of fuel per 1,000 miles, or an estimated $470 annual fuel savings per truck.