Noting that the winners were selected from a record number of nominees and finalists, the Truckload Carriers Association and CarriersEdge have announced their 2019 Best Fleets to Drive For. The listing identifies for-hire carriers that provide “the best workplace experiences for their drivers," according to TCA and CarriersEdge, which partner to produce the annual survey and contest.
According to TCA President John Lyboldt, the Best Fleets program and its annual list of the Top 20 has grown to become one of the most anticipated announcements in trucking. “The winners have set the bar high when it comes to keeping their professional truck drivers engaged while also providing a superior work environment,” he said. “This coveted contest reveals the tremendous efforts put forth by these driver-centric companies.”
“When it comes to working with drivers, our Top 20 Best Fleets to Drive For are North America’s best-of-the best in the for-hire trucking segment,” said CarriersEdge CEO Jane Jazrawy. “This recognition program is now in its 11th year, and each year we’ve seen fleets up their game – making a positive difference in the lives of drivers with innovative programs.”
The 2019 Top 20 Best Fleets to Drive For:
- American Central Transport - Kansas City, Missouri
- Bennett Motor Express - McDonough, Georgia
- Bison Transport - Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Boyle Transportation - Billerica, Massachusetts
- Central Oregon Truck Company - Redmond, Oregon
- Crete Carrier Corp - Lincoln, Nebraska
- Epes Transport System - Greensboro, North Carolina
- Erb Transport - New Hamburg, Ontario
- FTC Transportation - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Garner Trucking - Findlay, Ohio
- Grand Island Express - Grand Island, Nebraska
- Halvor Lines - Superior, Wisconsin
- Landstar System - Jacksonville, Florida
- Maverick Transportation - North Little Rock, Arkansas
- Motor Carrier Service - Northwood, Ohio
- Nussbaum Transportation Services - Hudson, Illinois
- Prime - Springfield, Missouri
- Thomas E. Keller Trucking - Defiance, Ohio
- TLD Logistics Services - Knoxville, Tennessee
- Transpro Freight Systems Limited - Milton, Ontario
Along with the Top 20, identified for honorable mention are the “Top 5 Fleets to Watch:”
- Fortigo Freight Services - Etobicoke, Ontario
- Leavitt's Freight Service - Springfield, Oregon
- Liberty Linehaul - Ayr, Ontario
- Roehl Transport - Marshfield, Wisconsin
- TransLand - Strafford, Missouri
Three fleets also achieved the milestone of appearing five consecutive years on the list: Boyle Transportation, Nussbaum, and TLD Logistics.
To be considered for the Best Fleets program, companies operating 10 or more trucks had to receive a nomination from at least one of their company drivers or owner-operators. The fleets were then evaluated using a scoring matrix covering a variety of categories, including total compensation, health benefits, performance management, professional development, and career path/advancement opportunities. Driver surveys were also conducted to collect input from drivers and independent contractors working with the fleets.
“We do a very thorough analysis and take a deep dive into each fleet’s programs,” noted CarrierEdge’s Jazrawy. “An important component in the scoring process is analyzing driver feedback on the company and then comparing it with management’s comments. The two need to align for fleets to score well."
She added that “this year’s Top 20 had an average driver satisfaction rate over 91%, and annual driver turnover under 35%, so what they’re doing is obviously working.”
An overall winner -- in large and small fleet categories -- will be named during TCA’s Annual Convention, to be held March 10-13 at the Wynn Las Vegas Resort. EpicVue and DMC Insurance sponsor the overall winner awards.
Click here for more information on the “Best Fleets to Drive For” program.