Volvo Trucks North America recently enhanced its fuel economy packages for both the Volvo VNL and VNR models by making the D13 turbo compound engine standard.
“We can compare making the D13TC standard in certain VNL models with earlier milestones, such as in 2007 when we introduced the Volvo I-Shift automated manual transmission, or when we were the first OEM in North America to offer our integrated proprietary driveline as standard, and back in 1983 when we were the first out with the fully integrated sleeper cabs on our trucks, setting new safety standards,” said Allison Athey, product marketing manager at Volvo Trucks North America.
The D13TC engine is equipped with Dynamic Torque, a system that enables the driver to adjust to the exact load without impacting performance. The engine also offers three drive modes, as well as an additional 405 hp rating and Volvo Trucks’ patented wave piston design.
“Making the engine standard was the next logical step, in addition to offering customizable fuel economy packages that further maximize profitability and reduce the truck’s impact on the environment,” said Athey.
The OEM is also offering enhanced fuel economy packages for Volvo VNL and VNR models, which provide up to 16% improvement in fuel efficiency savings for the VNL and up to 6% fuel efficiency savings for the VNR over the baseline models based on the package specified, according to the company.
The following fuel efficiency packages are available for the Volvo VNL:
- Plus (up to 4%): Includes D13 VGT engine package, I-See predictive cruise control, front bumper with full airflow deflector, chassis fairings, cab side fairings with extender and low rolling resistance tires.
- Advanced TC (up to 12%): Includes Plus features as well as the D13TC engine, mirror arm wind deflectors, extended chassis fairings with ground effects and trim tab.
- Xceed (up to 16%): Only available for Volvo VNL 760 and 860 models, this package includes Advanced TC features, as well as full FlowBelow Aerokit plus an optimized wheelbase and trailer gap to decrease drag.
The following fuel efficiency packages are available for the Volvo VNR:
- Plus (up to 4%): Includes D13 VGT engine package with I-See predictive cruise control, chassis fairings and cab side fairings with extender.
- Advanced (up to 6%): Includes Plus features, as well as the D13 VGT XE engine package, mirror arm wind deflectors, ground effects and trim tab.