TND 510 units will ship with the upgraded software starting next month. The upgrade also can be downloaded from the Rand McNally Dock onto existing units for participants in Rand McNally's Lifetime Maps program. Rand McNally is currently offering free Lifetime Maps on new TND 510 and 720 devices between now and the end of the year.
The software updgrade includes the following new information and features:
-Updated road data; includes truck-specific information such as speed limits, legal and physical restrictions, and all Rand McNally proprietary truck restriction data
- Updated points of interest necessary for efficient routing, including truck stops, weigh stations, and locations at the exits ahead
- Fuel logs - accessible from the Virtual Dashboard or Truck Tools, the feature enables drivers to record fuel purchases for a trip
- "Avoid State or Province" preference - allows a driver to route around states or provinces to avoid seasonal road conditions, hazmat constraints, tolls, or construction
- Enhanced routing options - provides for increased flexibility, and faster, more efficient route calculations
- Address book icon enhancement - enables unique icons to be created by group and shown on the map for imported locations, address book items displayed by name, distance from current location, and date added information
- Text-to-speech alert details for custom points of interest - reduces distracted driving by providing spoken alert information for imported items such as red light cameras
Owners of the TND 710 also are eligible for the new software download if they have Lifetime Maps.