The mDrive HD automated manual transmission is now standard on the Titan Heavy-Haul Truck, Mack announced at the National Heavy Equipment Show in Ontario, Canada.
The 12-speed mDrive HD in the Titan features an automated clutch and is controlled through a dash-mounted shift pad. The shift pad allows a driver to select drive, neutral or reverse and can be operated manually to hold a gear, downshift of upshift.
The mDrive HD in the Titan is compatible with engines rated up to 2,060 lb.-ft. of torque and 515 to 605 horsepower and is designed to work with the Mack MP10 engine.
The transmission feature specialized heavy-haul software for GCWs heavier than 140,000 pounds. It is designed for such applications as logging, lowboy and oversized hauling.
The mDrive HD also monitors grade, vehicle speed, throttle position, acceleration, torque demand and gross vehicle weight. It uses this information to choose the optimal gear for the road condition, which allows drivers to focus on terrain rather than shifting, per Mack.
Other features of the mDrive HD in the Titan include:
- Lighter weight - Including transmission oil, the mDrive HD is more than 200 pounds lighter than other transmission offerings to enable higher payloads.
- Reinforced internal components - With stronger gears and synchros, the mDrive HD is built to withstand more frequent shifting that is often needed in heavy-haul applications.
- A transmission-mounted oil cooler - The mDrive HD’s oil cooler helps maintain an optimal operating temperature, despite repeated heat-generating shifts.
- Unique software packages, specific to the customer application- The Heavy-Haul package brings a more aggressive shift strategy with performance-oriented shift points and fewer skipped gears. Enhanced onstruction provides optimal on/off-road capability and gives the driver full control over any terrain. EZ Shift delivers smoother shifts for sensitive payloads like livestock or bulk liquids.
- Rock Free feature - Should the vehicle become stuck, this feature allows the driver to "rock" the truck back and forth simply by pumping the accelerator.
- Grade Gripper - Working with the truck’s ABS system, Grade Gripper allows the vehicle to momentarily hold a hill, giving the driver time to move their foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal without rolling backward.
“We built on the success of the Mack mDrive – and engineered a heavier-duty version of the automated manual transmission,” said Stephen Roy, president of Mack Trucks North America. “When paired with the powerful heavy-haul Titan, it offers Mack customers unparalleled muscle to easily handle the most difficult of loads.”
See all comments