MATS, LOUISVILLE -- Eaton announced that an optimized version of its Fuller Advantage Series Automated 10-speed transmissions will be available on select Paccar trucks with the MX-13 engine in order to maximize fuel efficiency in linehaul applications.
The Eaton Fuller Advantage 10-speed automated transmission will be available as an option for the Kenworth T680 in long-haul or regional applications. It's part of the Kenworth T680 Advantage package introduced at the Mid-America Trucking Show, and it's part of the Peterbilt EPIQ fuel efficiency package introduced at the show.
This powertrain package is lighter in weight, provides professional drivers with smooth, automated shifting, and is designed to enhance the time spent in a diesel engine’s most efficient rpm zone to help reduce fuel consumption.
For Paccar, the MX-13 engine will be paired with the new Eaton Fuller Advantage 10-speed transmission and available for Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks in long-haul and regional applications. By sensing the vehicle load and selecting the best shift points to match vehicle weight and road grade throttle position, this powertrain package can save up to 2% in fuel economy.
A new Precision Lubrication system represents one of the most important upgrades in the Fuller Advantage Series. The system reduces the oil churn energy losses found in traditional transmissions by nearly 33%. With less heat being generated, the Fuller Advantage Series transmissions do not require a cooler and corresponding lines and fittings. The result is less preventative maintenance is required while engine fans cycle less, further reducing horsepower demand.
In addition, small-step technology enables downspeeding in overdrive and efficiency in direct drive. Optimized shifting is based on grade, vehicle weight, engine torque and throttle position.
Significant weight savings – up to 82 pounds – has also been achieved with the new Fuller Advantage Series transmissions. A thin-wall cast-iron main case design is complemented by the use of aluminum for the shift bar housing, auxiliary section cover and range cylinder. All Fuller Advantage Series transmissions have a standard warranty of 5 years/750,000 miles. The Advantage Series clutch is warranted for 3 years/350,000 miles (563,270 km).
Additional Fuller Advantage Series Automated features include:
- Error-free, automated shifting due to the use of an Electronic Clutch Actuator which offers unprecedented performance, including gradeability and low-speed maneuverability;
- Auto Neutral automatically switches into neutral once the parking brake is engaged to prevent potential movement;
- Hill Start Aid which prevents roll back or roll forward. When grade exceeds 3%, foundation brakes hold truck for up to three seconds for a controlled launch;
- Extended oil drain interval - 500,000 miles before the first scheduled transmission oil drain service, for linehaul applications rated at 80,000 pounds or less;
- Oil level sight glass for reduced preventive maintenance downtime;
- Standard eight- and six-bolt Power Take-Off openings; and
- Ten forward speeds and two reverse.
- Gross Combination Weight ratings up to 80,000 pounds; 110,000 pounds pending.
- Torque capacities from 1,150 to 1,850 pounds-feet.