September 29, 2023
How Can Trucking Solve its Parking Shortage? [Video]
Trucking has a parking problem. The number of trucks seeking parking exceeds the number of available spaces. Projections suggest the number of trucks requiring overnight parking will grow significantly in the coming years. The federal government has pledged close to a billion dollars to develop additional truck parking. Will that be enough? Will those spaces come soon enough?
This episode of HDT Talks Trucking is sponsored by Double Coin
And by CAT Scale. Learn more about its WeighMyTruck app.
Jim Ward, president of the Truckload Carriers Association, joins HDT Equipment Editor Jim Park to discuss the scope of the problem, some potential solutions, and the thorny issue of paying for parking.
Watch this Episode of HDT Talks Trucking to Learn:
- The scope of the parking shortage
- The cost of lost productivity and operational inefficiencies
- How a lack of parking affects safety
- Government funding to build more parking
- Where parking is needed most acutely
- Redesigning rest areas for better utilization
- The benefits of paying for parking
- Should carriers co-develop their own parking sites?
More About Trucking’s Parking Shortage
ATRI’s Research on Truck Parking
Top 20 Dangerous Highway Ramp Spots For Truck Parking
Commentary by Jim Park: Of Course Trucking Should Pay for Parking