January 10, 2023
Overcoming Challenges of Electrifying Transport Refrigeration [Video]
As of Jan. 1, 2024, most refrigerated truck fleets operating in California will need to have at least 15% of the fleet converted to fully electric refrigeration units. Thermo King’s Preeti Subramanian, senior product manager for truck products, explains what that rule will mean for fleets both large and small.
This episode of HDT's Leadership Insights video podcast, the third in a series, is sponsored by, and produced in partnership with, Thermo King.
While the industry hasn’t yet seen a formal rule on refrigerated trailer products from the California Air Resources Board or the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, just about everyone agrees it’s likely to require an all-electric solution. Thermo King Trailer/Rail Portfolio Leader Sam Doerr explains his company’s approach to the pending rule and how it might affect the users of mobile refrigeration products.
In this episode of HDT's Leadership Insights, we discuss:
- The roll-out of a more climate-friendly refrigerant, R452A, and its impact on TRU users
- California’s zero-emissions requirements for refrigerated straight-truck fleets
- Thermo King’s e-1000 all-electric TRU designed for battery-electric trucks
- What Thermo King has learned about how customers use their trailers and how electrification will affect them
- What might happen if a truck breaks down, leaving no opportunity to charge the reefer batteries
🏫 TRU Electrification Resources
Thermo King’s Electrified Solutions
Thermo King’s Evolve Demonstration Unit
Leadership Insights Audio Podcast with Thermo King, Part 1: The Pathway to TRU Electrification
Leadership Insights Audio Podcast with Thermo King, Part 2: Standardizing Emerging TRU Technologies