TopNews

FMCSA: ELD Final Rule Slated to Publish on Sept. 30

March 3, 2015

By David Cullen

The projected publication date for the final rule that will mandate the use of Electronic Logging Devices by truck drivers has been updated to September 30th, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

The date previously projected by FMCSA for publication of the final ELD rule in the Federal Register had been November 9th. The change is an unusual instance of a projected rulemaking date being shortened by a federal agency.

On the other hand, at the time the Notice of Proposal Rulemaking on ELDs was released in early 2011, FMCSA scheduled this September 30 as the “original” publication date.

The ELD mandate will go into effect 24 months after the final rule is published.

According to FMCSA, the ELD rule will establish:

• Minimum performance and design standards for hours-of-service (HOS) electronic logging devices (ELDs)
  • Requirements for the mandatory use of these devices by drivers currently required to prepare HOS records of duty status (RODS)
  • Requirements concerning HOS supporting documents
  • Measures to address concerns about harassment resulting from the mandatory use of ELDs

Comments

1. 1. Steve P [ March 04, 2015 @ 05:22AM ]

The ELD Mandate has just set my retirement date. Thank you for the Advanced information as I prepare,to say goodby to a lot of friends I have made over the years.

2. 2. Kevin Otto [ March 04, 2015 @ 05:40AM ]

Attempting to be a leader in our own little way we installed ELD's a year ago in 2/3 of our fleet. The experience is dreadful if we ran our operation like the ELD's work in our trucks we would have a unsatisfactory rating from the DOT. I would encourage everyone who wants to be proactive and install these machines in your trucks to go slow and ask lots of questions. In our case you can't just email the driver, you have to have another system to send it and the machines are constantly going dark in the trucks leaving the drivers to go back to paper logs. Doesn't make sense does it?

3. 3. 4b [ March 04, 2015 @ 07:30AM ]

There are way too many problems with this idea..I do believe this is where drivers will draw a line in the sand or walk away. As for me, my equipment is paid for so I will probably walk away..I can make the same money working a day job..

4. 4. Shawn [ March 04, 2015 @ 08:15AM ]

We are also taking a proactive approach to this mandate and have implemented EOBR/ELD devices in 25% of our fleet as a test for the future. We met with some push back in the beginning but as time has progressed and we have worked out all of the kinks (there were several), even those who pushed back the most have begun to see the quality of their driving careers change for the better. We actually have drivers that were totally against the ELD in the beginning coming forward to ask for the units on their own now. The key to this new technology is education. The drivers need to have a very good training process in place so they understand the technology that they are being asked to use. If your company training process is inadequate and lacking the drivers will not have the confidence to use the technology and can be combative. The one thing most people understand is "Smart Phone" technology. With this being said, there are several devices and programs to choose from so we went with the on the best suits everybody's technical level. One of the benefits to the company is you can track drivers actions. Speed, hard braking, geographical location, excessive Idling, available HOS. All of this is good and typically when we have someone that does not want to go to the ELD form paper logs it is; 1. because that are going out of route to their favorite strip club or other unauthorized location while in route to a delivery, or they are going out of route for some other reason other then work related or; 2. they cannot violate or manipulate the HOS any longer. As the Director of Safety for a large trucking company, I think this is a good idea that will keep our nations roads safer and will keep "rouge" drivers off the road...I was a driver for 27 years and I wish this was technology available when I was a driver.

5. 5. D mac g [ March 04, 2015 @ 11:46AM ]

Well sir we can all see what you think about your drivers I don't think any device you put in your fleet is going to help your company the problem there isn't logging its trust

6. 6. John [ March 04, 2015 @ 04:55PM ]

Shawn must own the company. It sounds like that anyway. Any drivers that oppose eld's, probably either go along with them, or get terminated.

7. 7. Gary [ March 04, 2015 @ 05:30PM ]

Are there any exceptions to the use of an ELD? I deliver trucks to dealerships and am in many different unregistered/unlicensed trucks each week. I use paper logs now and don't see how I would be able to use an ELD.

8. 8. Carlton Biggs [ March 04, 2015 @ 07:43PM ]

It doesn't matter what I think , this magazine and the government both feel the same about me. I have made comments several times and It never has been listed.

9. 9. Frank Langley [ March 04, 2015 @ 10:04PM ]

I've been trucking for 35 years , I don't need a box to tell me how to do my job. I think it's called common since. I asked safety person the other day how long does it take you to get home she said 20 min and I said put a box in your car and it says you got 15 min before you have to shut down HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DRIVE. I don't have a Race truck . No thanks I'll keep my FREEDOM . It's all about Gouverment CONTROL.

10. 10. Pete Stephens [ March 05, 2015 @ 11:31AM ]

I drove a truck OTR for 7 yrs not a long time but I used a EOBR for 2 of those years, to start I did not like the idea but after 6 months I thought it was better than paper-logs. people who are against ELD just want the opportunity to fidel the HOS but I think it will cut down accidents and allow drivers more free time and less confusion filing out logs.this is way overdue other countries have had these systems for 20yrs or more. next we need speed camera's to slow down the idiots in the 4 wheelers who cause most of the accidents.

11. 11. Thomas Barton [ March 05, 2015 @ 02:03PM ]

I don't believe the eld's will have any bearing on highway safety. The 14 hour rule is the problem with tired drivers. I do not want to work more then 14 hours in a day. And 11 driving is plenty. But I rather start and stop thru the day as I see fit opposed to start the day and run your fool ass off until your manatory 30 min break then go finish your day. Not my kind of trucking. I run California 90% of my miles and I wait out traffic whenever I have to come into greater Los Angeles area. Or the bay area.

12. 12. Ryan grayson [ March 05, 2015 @ 06:34PM ]

eld's are the way of the future and Teletrac has been paving the way for years. Wheathr you like it or not they are coming. If you would like to see a best in class provider supporting GPS and slogs for over 25 years give us a call. Or ways to simplify your records and improve overall driver behavior, Call me at anytime and I can show you how simple it is to get compliant. 8327764247 Ryan Grayson

13. 13. BILL [ March 07, 2015 @ 10:14AM ]

WHEN WE STARTED ON E LOGS (SLOWLY) WE TOLD THE DRIVERS TO USE THERE PAPER ALONG SIDE WE DONE THIS FOR
    APPROX. 6 MOS. SOME LESS AND THE ONES THAT SAID THEY WOULD NOT DRIVE A TRUCK WITH THEM NOW SAY THEY WOULD NOT DRIVE A TRUCK WITHOUT THEM. IT IS A PROCESS TAKE YOUR TIME AND HELP AND TALK IT IS WORTH THE WAIT

14. 14. Larry Nau [ March 07, 2015 @ 07:09PM ]

They need more training for shippers receiving customer before enforcing a rule like this. I have tracked revenue for 3 months. I am not against change but I need somebody to tell me compensation we get for all these rules and regs. 1/12th of my revenue will disappear!! Let alone the cost of eld.s. the consumer will be the one to suffer.

15. 15. Stringbean [ March 08, 2015 @ 07:08PM ]

Who is going to train all these O/O for use of these things. Our government talks of creating jobs then comes with this to put a lot of people out of a job.

16. 16. Lee Lenard [ March 08, 2015 @ 07:50PM ]

As noted from comments above, ELD's are a matter of perception, application and matter of opinion based on work conditions and style of operations. Yes, my guess "Shawn" is owner or control freak and does not trust any of his drivers. "Grayson" is in this business and makes his living selling, repairing, programming and updating these systems.....a very good business because there is always something wrong or needs updates.....that cost to the user never ends!
    For the driver: Those working 8-10 hours per day and 5 days a week and not very brilliant with math....The ELD is for you and you need it.
    For the driver that has to maximize 11/14 hours 7 days: The worst thing that can happen. You will have to speed, run red lights, take chances, give up bathroom stops, eat only fast food or junk you can carry with you and continue driving even when sleepy and need a nap. The ELD will make you more dangers than the 4-wheelers.
    In General: The ELD is the most DANGEROUS rule ever produced by FMCSA. This really jeopardizes the public, drivers health and the ability to have a job that produces earnings plus some satisfaction and enjoyment.

17. 17. BarbRRB [ March 09, 2015 @ 06:11AM ]

Lee I am with you. This is not the answer. Flexibility is the answer. We are not robots. One rule best for all is not the answer either. It is all about control of the government and the people are puppets on a string. If ELD's should NOT be mandatory, should be an "option". When you look at the ELD and it says you have 4 more hours of driving and dispatch said roll. What then? Covered by law? Think again, company will have you on the worst loads and loose miles till you quit. Harrasment. Make it a choice and we would not have such a problem. Just another expense of the small O/O.

18. 18. MikeM [ June 25, 2015 @ 04:51PM ]

We implemented the Sprint /GeoTab solution about a year ago and our experience has been less than satisfactory. While GeoTab's support has been good, there are a number of unresolved technical issues. Be prepared to spend a certain amount of time in driver training and plan on having someone available to correct driver's mistakes. Out of 26 trucks, there's hardly a day goes by where someone doesn't forget to take their lunch or log off duty at the end of the day.

Lubricants