ORLANDO -- American Trucking Associations recognized some of the industry’s finest performances Sunday during its annual Management Conference & Exhibition, before a large crowd assembled for the opening general session.
“Our industry is filled with many, many drivers, technicians and safety professionals who work hard every day to keep our economy moving and our roads safe,” ATA President and CEO Bill Graves said. “However, there are some who have gone above and beyond in their efforts and we salute them for going the extra mile.”
The award winners recognized by ATA were:
- Gary Harms, a Walmart Transportation driver from Olathe, Kan., 2013 Bendix National Truck Driving Championships Grand Champion, sponsored by Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems LLC;
- 2013 Technology and Maintenance Council SuperTech Grand Champion Mark McLean, Jr., a technician with FedEx Freight, Newburgh, N.Y.;
- Gary Babbitt, a Dallas-based driver for Central Freight Lines, 2013 National Truck Driver of the Year, sponsored by Custard Insurance Adjusters;
- Jerry Waddell, safety director with Cargo Transporters Inc., Claremont, N.C., 2013 National Safety Director of the Year, sponsored by Great West Casualty Company; and
- Jason Wing, Manager, Safety Compliance and Training, ABF Freight System Inc., Ft. Smith, Ark.; National Safety Professional Award of Excellence, sponsored by Meritor Wabco.