Safety & Compliance

FMCSA Proposes Additional Rules for Trucker Medical Examiners

May 10, 2013

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration announced a proposed rule to allow state and federal enforcement officials to easily share and view the most current and accurate information about a commercial motor vehicle driver's medical certification status.

It would require certified medical examiners performing physical examinations on drivers of commercial motor vehicles to use a newly developed medical examination report form, and to use a new form for the medical examiner's certificate.

In addition, certified medical examiners would be required to electronically report to FMCSA the results of all completed commercial drivers' physical examinations by close of business on the day of the examination. This would include the results of any examination where the driver was found not to be qualified.

FMCSA would make the medical examiner’s certificate information for interstate commercial driver's license holders available to the state driver licensing agencies only as part of the integration of the medical certification and the CDL issuance and renewal process.

The proposal is a follow up rule to the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners rule published on April 20, 2012, and the medical certification requirements as part of the CDL rule published on Dec. 1, 2008.

Comments on the latest proposed rule are due by July 9. You can read the proposed rule in the Federal Register

Comments

1. 1. bryan spoon [ May 13, 2013 @ 06:56AM ]

I DIDN'T give up my right to privacy to get my CDL. My medical infomation is for me and my doctor to know. All FMCSA or any other agency needs to know is either I an medically quailified or not. Its bad enough I have to go to someone other than my local family doctor to get my physical done.

2. 2. Ronald Reed [ May 13, 2013 @ 01:22PM ]

Is this taking to much of their Donut time? or should we just have a Dr ride with us?

3. 3. Heather Barr [ May 15, 2013 @ 04:58AM ]

I totally agree with Bryan Spoon. The details of what is found during a physical is between me and my doctor. No one else needs to know specifics beyond passing or failing and things like corrective lenses. The whole thing is getting way too intimate. Maybe if you show me yours first?

4. 4. Russ Thompson [ May 16, 2013 @ 04:21PM ]

this sort of idiotic legislation well not only impact the trucking industry, but in the long run affective individual consumer. Watching these characters is like the blind leading the blind. they haven't got a clue about the safety issues involved in an everyday driving job. they're just plain old clueless. without qualified truck drivers, and I'm not talking about guys that just got out of school, the products are not going to get to the consumes show on a regular basis. Trucks and truck drivers are the lifeblood of this nation's backbone which includes its total economic system system.

5. 5. Russ w [ May 17, 2013 @ 05:47PM ]

I agree the FMSCA ought to keep there nose out of the trucking industry period! For one thing the stupid laws they create is pathetic.
    They have no clue to what it takes to get your cdl and the cost of it! They ought to pay for the drivers who lose there CDL due to the medical card issues. Just because they forgot to renew it period. I don't feel us cdl holder should lose our cdl privileges due to a medical card issue. Infancy they should get rid of it period less headaches.

6. 6. scott nesbitt ,md [ February 15, 2014 @ 11:55AM ]

I am with you guys. I resent that I have to waste a day of my time -pay for an educational conference and then pay to take a test on something I have done 10 times a day for 25 years( and then I am required to submit it through a special website that I have to check in with each month even if I perform no physical that month)and many of my colleagues will not be getting certified which will make it tough for you guys to get your exams. and as an insider - I suspect many rookie docs will be the ones getting certified (they jump through any hoop the government puts up) and they may have an attitude about every detail. I am for safe driving but hassling all of us with this useless issue is one more strike at our freedom.

7. 7. Joe Trombly [ February 26, 2014 @ 09:27AM ]

I had my yearly med. exam. And was denied because I was honest and told her about all my med.history which included an Aflutter problem last May that was taken care of and was given a ok buy cardioligy . Is this right

WHEEL ENDS SOLUTIONS