While it may be hard to understand what the trucking industry can learn from someone who built his initial success inside the world of hip hop music, Daymond John, founder and CEO of FUBU and star of Shark Tank, offered some food for thought during his keynote presentation at the recent Heavy Duty Aftermarket Week outside Dallas, Texas.
John began his presentation by talking about his early foray into business and then shared the lessons he learned which he calls his SHARK Tips.
- Goal: “You become what you think about. Too often we let other people set the goals for us,” John said.He added, “You can’t hit a target that you can’t see.” He also said suggested that audience members take an inventory of what your assts and liabilities are.
- Homework: This speaks to understanding your customers and what they want and need. Be prepared whether you are going to talk to a customer, supplier or investor.
- Amor: This is about loving what you are doing. However, John was quick to add that it also involves nurturing relationships and focusing on other parts of your life [family, friends] that are more important than business.
- Remember you are the brand: He suggested that audience members use two to five words to describe who they are, and they believe in. “If you don't know, you leave it up to others to interpret what you stand for.”
- Keep swimming: John told the audience members to never give up their dream despite obstacles they will encounter. He said that success is not about money, but is about “answering the question, 'Why have I been put on this planet?’”