Agility Fuel Systems, a designer and producer of alternative fuel storage and delivery systems for heavy-duty trucks, buses and specialty vehicles, announcedd at the Alternative Clean Transportation Expo in Washington D.C., the launch of a new compressed natural gas fuel system.
The high-capacity system is specifically designed to be mounted behind the cab of class 7 and 8 tractors, which are used in over-the-road, long-haul applications.
The new system utilizes three cylinders of 26 inches in diameter and 80 inches in length to be able to carry 120 diesel gallon equivalent on board. This system, depending on the application, will be able to deliver a 500 mile range before needing to refuel. This represents a major breakthrough as it becomes the industry’s best DGE per inch of frame rail.
This system can also be combined with additional rail mounted systems to reach a maximum of 240 DGE.
This system is extremely compact requiring only 31 1/4 inches of frame rail space. And, with a width of only 87 1/4, will maintain the vehicle aerodynamics by not protruding beyond the side of the cab.
The system features:
- Type 4 cylinders that are plastic lined and reinforced with carbon fiber, which are up to 70% lighter than steel tanks and not subject to corrosion.
- Integrated fuel management module that controls accurate filling and pressure delivery to the engine.
- In-cab display that provides vital information such as fuel level, miles to empty, average mileage per DGE and nearest fueling station locator.
- Area pressure relief valve that provides improved safety and better packaging. This new technology captures a much larger heat area than current point pressure relief valves.
- Ignition disconnect fuel caps that are ergonomic and robust and designed for the rigorous demands of the heavy truck industry while providing a reliable electrical connection.