After a final round of selections, American Trucking Associations has named 20 professional drivers to the 2017-2018 America’s Road Team, a group of elite truck drivers that will serve as trucking industry ambassadors.
A panel of industry officials and trucking news media judged the finalists on their knowledge of the trucking industry, dedication to safety, ability to communicate the industry’s message, and overall safe driving record.
“For many drivers, being named to America’s Road Team is the pinnacle of their careers,” said Elisabeth Barna, ATA COO and executive vice president of industry affairs. “By compiling millions of accident-free miles, serving hundreds of hours in their communities and articulating the passion they have for their careers as truck drivers, these new captains are excellent examples of the professionalism that’s become a hallmark of our industry.”
For the next two years, the America’s Road Team captains will tour North America in ATA’s Interstate One Image Truck, a Volvo VNL 780 emblazoned with an American flag towing a state-of-the-art driving simulator. The captains, who remain full-time truck drivers, will speak about the life of a truck driver and expound on the important role of trucking and a safety-first mentality.
After receiving their signature navy blue America’s Road Team blazers, the 2017-2018 Captains will begin working to improve public perception of the trucking industry. Trucking industry professionals can support America’s Road Team’s mission by following the team’s two-year journey on Facebook and Twitter and interacting with them at major industry events, conferences and community visits.
The 2017-2018 America’s Road Team Captains are:
- Steve Brand, FedEx Freight
- Jon Brockway, Walmart Transportation
- John Gaddy, Carbon Express
- Scott Harrison, K Limited Carrier
- Rhonda Hartman, Old Dominion Freight Line
- Gary Helms, Covenant Transport
- Bill Krouse, YRC Freight
- David Livingston, TCW
- Charles Lobsiger, Walmart Transportation
- Timothy Melody, ABF Freight System
- James Moore, Saia LTL Freight
- Chris Outen, FedEx Freight
- Charlton Paul Jr., UPS Freight
- Jeffrey Payne, Reddaway
- Stephen Richardson, Big G Express
- Michael Sheeds, Werner Enterprises
- Steven Smalley, ABF Freight System
- Gary Smith, Garner Trucking
- Earl Taylor, Penske Logistics
- Tim Taylor, FedEx Freight