Goodyear is still looking for candidates for its annual Highway Hero Award, honoring professional truck drivers who put themselves in harm’s way to help others.
Nominations for the 34th Highway Hero Award are open through Nov. 29, 2016. To nominate a truck driver for the Goodyear Highway Hero Award, click here, fill out the nomination form, and press the “submit” button, which will send your nomination directly to Goodyear.
The winner will be announced next March during the 2017 Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, Ky. The last winner of the award, Julian Kaczor, pulled a severely injured motorist from a flame-engulfed car.
Past winners include a driver who rescued a law-enforcement officer being strangled by a prisoner he was transporting and a driver who saved a woman from a gun-wielding attacker. The Goodyear Highway Hero award was established in 1983.
“The Goodyear Highway Hero Award honors truck drivers who put their lives at risk as they travel the roads and highways of North America,” said Gary Medalis, marketing director, Goodyear. “Over the last 30-plus years, we’ve heard hundreds of stories about the bravery of truck drivers. If you know of a truck driver who has performed a heroic act, please let us know.”
To be considered for the award the following criteria must be met:
- Must be a full-time truck driver
- Must reside in the U.S. or Canada
- The heroic incident must have happened in the U.S. or Canada
- Nominee’s truck must have had 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident
- Nominee must have been on the job – or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck – at the time of the incident
- Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2015, and Nov. 16, 2016
A panel of trucking industry judges will select the winner from a list of Goodyear Hero Award finalists. Finalists must clear background checks to Goodyear’s satisfaction.