American Trucking Associations announced the 31 finalists in the running to be named Captains of the 2015-2016 America’s Road Team. Judges will decide the winners on January 13th.
Over the next three days, a panel of industry officials and trucking media will test the contestants on their knowledge of the trucking industry, dedication to safety and ability to communicate the industries message. They will also evaluate their overall driving safety record.
The newly chosen America’s Road Team will receive a navy blue America’s road Team blazer and will immediately begin their industry outreach to the public, media, public officials, businesses, drivers and community leaders.
“Captains are universally respected ambassadors of our industry,” said Bill Graves, president and CEO of ATA. “I wish this year’s finalists luck and look forward to naming a select few of them to America’s Road Team.”
America’s Road Team are a group of professional truck drivers with superior safety records that travel the country educating the public on the importance of trucking and on highway safety. The group was created in 1986 and has been sponsored by Volvo Trucks since 2002.
To be nominated to the America’s Road Team, a driver must be employed or leased to an ATA member company. Each nominee should have an excellent safety record and should demonstrate an ability to communicate his or her commitment to safety an passion for the industry. For more information on America's Road Team, click here.
This year’s finalists include:
- Paul Brandon, FedEx Freight, Oxford, Conn.
- Henry Bruster, UPS Freight, Woodville, Miss.
- Ricardo Buitrago, Con-way Freight, Kissimmee, Fla.
- Gary Lee Capps, UPS Freight, Grantsville, Utah
- Kenneth Clark, YRC Freight, Desoto, Mo.
- Charles Demchock II, Walmart Transportation, Cocoa, Fla.
- Eric Flick, FedEx Freight, Dayton, Nev.
- David Green, Werner Enterprises, Hot Springs, Ark.
- Neil Kirk, Penske Logistics, Middletown, N.Y.
- Randall Luschen, Weinrich Truck Line Inc., Merrill, Iowa
- Clarence Wilburn Lyons, YRC Freight, Haltom City, Texas
- Thomas McIntosh, YRC Freight, Aurora, Colo.
- John McKown, UPS Freight, East Berlin, Penn.
- Tim Melody, ABF Freight System Inc., Payette, Idaho
- Chad Miller, ABF Freight System Inc., Crown Point, Ind.
- Bill Minor, Con-way Freight, West Milwaukee, Wis.
- Brent Quire, Con-way Freight, New Albany, Ind.
- Eric Ramsdell, Walmart Transportation, Wittmann, Ariz.
- Terry Rankins, Weinrich Truck Line Inc., Tollesboro, Ky.
- Paul Savill, UPS Freight, Hamilton, Ohio
- Gary Schmidt, Cliff Viessman Inc., Fergus Falls, Minn.
- Russell Simpson, Holland Inc., South Vienna, Ohio
- Danny Smith, Big G Express Inc., Shelbyville, Tenn.
- Clarence Taylor, Walmart Transportation, North Chesterfield, Va.
- Stanley Thrasher, Danny Herman Trucking Inc., Boaz, Ala.
- Brian Turner, Old Dominion Freight Line Inc., Newport, Tenn.
- Tim Vogt, Con-way Freight, Loganville, Ga.
- Kirk Weis, ABF Freight System Inc., Rio Rancho, N.M.
- William West, ABF Freight System Inc., Roopville, Ga.
- Derrick Whittle, Cargo Transporters Inc., Fieldale, Va.
- Scott Woodrome, FedEx Freight, Middletown, Ohio