The event is expected to attract more than 300 specialized carriers, state and federal government officials, researchers, manufacturers and suppliers.
Some attendees will be arriving early for full-day sessions of the Mississippi Valley Committee of State Highway and Transportation Officials, the Southeastern Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, and the Western Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. MVC, SASHTO and WASHTO will continue the meetings on March 2 until the Symposium's opening session in the afternoon.
Also before the opening session on March 2, SC&RA's Truck Permit Policy Committee and Transportation Safety Education & Training Committee and Pilot Car Task Force will meet. Attendees already onsite are encouraged to attend these sessions.
Anne Ferro, administrator of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has been invited as opening speaker. The session will address the numerous pending FMCSA rulemakings and their anticipated direct and long-range impact on the entire transport industry.
Later in the symposium, Bryan L. Price, an FMCSA Transportation Specialist, is scheduled to present information on the agency's new Comprehensive Safety Analysis (CSA), including the Driver Safety Measurement System, as well as the new pre-employment screening program. The emphasis will be on compliance, safety and accountability in the 2011 transportation business arena.
Jones Loflin, co-author of "Juggling Elephants," will draw from his powerful book in his keynote presentation to show attendees how to become more productive, less stressed, and better equipped to lead in their private and professional lives.
Other educational sessions on the program include:
* Utilization of Technology in Risk Management by Robert Moore, Brent Moody and Ron Kipp, NBIS
* Denial of Cargo Claims and Permit Problems: Two Current Transport Priority by Robert Rothstein, the law firm of Franklin & Prokopok
* Enforcement and Safety Partnership with Carriers by Steven A. Keppler, Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance
* Trailer Technology Advancement and Innovations by a panel from top manufacturers
* Load Securement - An Essential Element of Safety by Henry Brozyna, Columbus McKinnon Corp.
* 2010 Hauling Job of the Year presentations by winning companies, Emmert International and Mammoet USA