May 15, 2023
Navigating Battery-Electric Truck Charging Challenges [Video]
It’s easy enough to buy a battery-electric truck, but fleets are being forced to wait up to two years for their chargers. Site design, permitting, and construction take forever. Matt Horton, CEO of Voltera Power, talks to HDT Talks Trucking on how fleets can navigate these waters.
Voltera develops charging facilities for light, medium, and heavy vehicles. Horton says the upfront costs of developing charging facilities are sidelining some fleets. Others just don’t have the resources to wade through the bureaucratic swamp and get shovels in the ground.
Horton discusses the challenges and offers advice on how to get your BEV up and running as quickly as possible.
Video topics include:
- Why is infrastructure such a problem?
- Charging deserts.
- Getting power to the wheels
- Is grid capacity allocated on a first-come, first-served basis?
- How much energy is 5 megawatts?
- Is the cost of power, including infrastructure, comparable to diesel?
- How far off is a true public charging network?
🏫 More About Battery-Electric Truck Charging Challenges
🤝 Follow and connect with HDT on social media!
🎧 Prefer to listen? Check out the HDT Talks Trucking podcast!