November 14, 2022
Truckers Win Lawsuit Against Unlawful Fingerprint Scans [Video]
Fingerprint scans, facial recognition, and voice recognition are becoming relatively common in the trucking industry… and it’s leading to some lawsuits. Learn more about privacy rights and biometric data collection, and what trucking fleets should be looking out for, in this episode of HDT Talks Trucking.
This episode is sponsored by Citgo
Learn more at citgolubes.com
Our top story from October was news of more than 44,000 truck drivers in Illinois winning a lawsuit against BNSF Railway for unlawfully collecting fingerprint scans at rail yards the drivers entered while dropping and picking up loads. To dive into the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act and the greater implications of biometric data collection in trucking, HDT Managing Editor Vesna Brajkovic talked with Scopelitis, Garvin, Light, Hanson & Feary Partner Andrew Butcher for this episode of HDT Talks Trucking.
In this episode, we dicuss:
- What is the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act?
- What is biometric data?
- Prevalence of biometric privacy laws in the U.S.
- What should carriers in Illinois be looking out for when it comes to BIPA?
- How should trucking companies avoid lawsuits relating to biometric information collection?
- Who's responsible for data collection and BIPA compliance?
- Industries impacted by biometric data collection laws
- Truck Drivers Win Lawsuit Against BNSF for Unlawful Fingerprint Scans
- Truck Drivers Must Be Informed of Biometric Scans in Illinois
- Scopelitis, Garvin, Light, Hanson & Feary