Q. We are a small service provider – carrier/broker - currently doing our best to deal with this pandemic, but we still need to keep an eye on the future. What do you see from a perspective with technology?
A. Through late June, it seems early to draw many conclusions because we are still dealing with COVID 19. However, it seems obvious there are a few developments that will bring lasting change:
1. The need to work remotely (WFH) has accelerated digitization of many businesses and services, and much of this impact was expected, and will prove irreversible. Meetings in person may become quaint rituals. One result: relationships will become more data-based, performance-centric and monitored via IOT (Internet of Things).
2. The visibility and capture of your data will be critical to being a provider of choice; supply chain partners will no longer take chances on the location of their product, merchandise, or package. When it comes to successful supply chains, there will be little tolerance for guessing and hoping.
3. As a service provider in transportation and logistics, you will either need your own technology (such as a TMS), or you will continually be subject to using someone else’s technology. Unfortunately, "using someone else's" tech usually means running your business on their terms.
4. To compete at a high level and be profitable, you will need to use your own data to manage your operations and improve your performance. Having your own technology is the clearest path.
5. As skeptical as we all become of “game changers”, 5G will enable communication of all forms at much greater connectivity and speed. This will empower the creation and capture of data here-to-fore unimaginable.
All things considered, now is the time to get started, accelerate your adaptation, or increase your investment in technology. The teams, firms and organizations that apply technology to create lasting competitive advantage will be those who win.
The EKA Omni-TMS platform is specifically designed for these purposes. Regardless of your current position in this journey, we can support your continued success.