TopNews

DOT Seeks Public Comment on Cutting Red Tape

October 3, 2017

In keeping with the Trump Administration’s stated intention to slice through red tape to benefit businesses, the Department of Transportation issued a notification of regulatory review on Oct. 2.

In its notice of the action, published in the Federal Register, DOT stated that it is “reviewing its existing regulations and other agency actions to evaluate their continued necessity, determine whether they are crafted effectively to solve current problems, and evaluate whether they potentially burden the development or use of domestically produced energy resources.”

As part of that process, the department is seeking public input on existing rules and other agency actions that are “good candidates for repeal, replacement, suspension, or modification.”

DOT also said that it may hold a public meeting to discuss and consider comments from members of the public.

Comments related to this regulatory review should be submitted on or before Nov. 1. Any comments should be identified by docket number DOT– OST–2017–0069 and submitted by any of the following methods:

• Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and follow the online instructions for submitting comments
  • Fax: 202–493–2251
  • Mail: Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE., Room W12–140, Washington, DC 20590–0001
  • Hand Delivery or Courier: The Docket Management Facility is located on the West Building, Ground Floor, of the U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE., Room W12– 140, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays

DOT stated that the review is predicated on the department’s position that there “should be no more regulations than necessary, and those regulations should be straightforward, clear, and designed to minimize burdens. Further, DOT regulations and other agency actions should not unnecessarily obstruct, delay, curtail, or otherwise impose significant costs on the siting, permitting, production, utilization, transmission, or delivery of energy resources.”

Related: DOT’s Chao Wants Public to Help Cut Infrastructure Red Tape

Comments

1. 1. Jim Bernhardt [ October 04, 2017 @ 07:23PM ]

We haul livestock. Electric logs will not work for what we do.

2. 2. Randall Witmer [ October 05, 2017 @ 08:13AM ]

I hull fresh and frozen food products coast to coast and the current hours of service rules do not work for me. The current rules are not conducive to safety. My peers all agree, it is best to sleep when tired, and drive when rested. And no HOS rule can determine that. It changes each day for everyone.

I have no idea how the 34 hour rule came to be. It reduces productivity and causes drivers to waste unnecessary time on the road, when they could continue home to be with their families.
    CDL bus drivers can stop their duty clock.
    CDL truck drivers can not stop their clock. WHY ?

EDLs may work fine for large fleets that have a tendency to push their drivers past the safety threshold. Independent drivers do not need ELDs to deliver a load safely and in a timely manner.

Summary:

1. Remove the ELD mandate
    2. Remove the 34 hour restart rule
    3. Allow drivers to stop their on duty clock when they determine that they are relieved of duty.

3. 3. Scott Horton [ October 05, 2017 @ 01:10PM ]

If ELD'S were about safety there would also be better training in place for the new driver's. But no the mega fleets don t want to pay for that kind of training. Instead they will buy trucks with automatic transmissions so they can put an untrained idiot behind the wheel. How has that worked out for us?
    An ELD has no idea when I need rest and when I don't. I am a grown man and I do NOT need or want a machine telling me when to go to bed.

4. 4. Dolon Fortner [ October 05, 2017 @ 07:14PM ]

Look at the industry today many have electronic log devices. Now I've been driving for many of years and in the past few years I've seen more aggressive driving then I have defensive driving. Those with e logs are being pushed. Those that do not have e-logs are more relaxed. Better decisions come when you are comfortable not when you're uptight watching a clock. I've been on E-logs for a month now trying it out. I'm not impressed with it. Sure it keeps you legal but I don't like being rushed nor having no choice but to drive in congested conditions where anger, frustration, road rage and Etc. is at its highest.
    CDL drivers are also known as professional drivers. What's professional about it? When you are being told what you can and cannot do? The only one that can control his/her rig is the driver holding the wheel. Decisions they make are very important. In my opinion E- logs is nothing more than a distraction. On a daily basis we worry about parking, loaded, unloaded,pay, traffic and more. We're 70'+ long there isn't enough parking for us and to most we're a nuisance. Putting a time limit on all that's going through our minds make it hard for some to make the right decision when the right decision is crucial for them to make.
    If you were serious about making the roads safer then start changing the laws that make it dangerous. Such as Lane restrictions, hours of service, DOT qualifications and the list goes on. Stop trying to control the driver actions. Give us what we need and work with us and not so much against us and the road will become safer.

5. 5. Carla Williams [ October 05, 2017 @ 07:39PM ]

Stop this ELD mandate.... And make some flexibility in the HOS... Get rid of the 30 minute cookie n milk break
    I'm a grown woman who had been on paper logs forever and have NOT to date had a log violation. I know when I'm tired... How does the computer know if I'm tired or not? How does the computer know if the roads are crappy and I need to shut down? Being a driver isn't like a 9 to 5 job! This is a 24/7 job
    I'm not out here to be regulated to death. I'm out here to haul produce and dairy products to feed the country....

6. 6. Keith Holt [ October 07, 2017 @ 08:42AM ]

The ELD mandate needs to be stoped!! The big fleets are pushing the eld because they hire any warm body to stick in a truck.They put them in trucks that have automatic transmissons and send them down the road. They don't take the time to see if these drivers can maneuver this equipment on the road or in a parking or at a shipper & receivers lot. I will bet that 95% of the drivers don't even know how to do a recap in their logbook!! Thus the ELD! I have been driving for 32 years, I still run the recap. I don't need a 34 hr restart or a ELD!!!

7. 7. Brian Hess [ October 07, 2017 @ 10:46AM ]

Okay I've been driving trucks for 39 years I've never had a problem getting to the customer unless I didn't pull over and take a nap if I need to pull over and take a nap I will do so electronic logbooks is not going to let me do that besides it's not going to be able to tell if I can need a nap or not like everyone else says it's the super companies that wants the ELD let him do it let him take over the whole damn Trucking industry and see what happens guarantee your cost of living will go through the roof diesel fuel gasoline everything is done by truck so just think about it just think about what you're creating hear you think you pay a lot of money for things now just think about it seriously tell your constituents that everything will be going up on the counter of ELD you're throwing this on us just like you through the Obamacare on the she didn't let us vote on it you didn't talk about it you just thought you'd come up with something and do it well let me tell you something large trucking companies or nothing but freaking what they called Puppy Farms you got obese people you got it illegal aliens they don't give a shit there a warm body that can drive an automatic transmission just like everybody else says that's not everybody doesn't have automatics nowadays that's for sissies automatics

8. 8. Deborah Lockridge, Editor [ October 07, 2017 @ 11:16AM ]

Thanks for the comments, folks -- but we suggest you direct them to the DOT as noted in the story.

9. 9. Kim emanuelson [ October 08, 2017 @ 07:30AM ]

They need to delay this mandate to Reevaluate the subject of parking! As a woman I'm concerned for my safety. And also the subject of the 14hr rule, for more flexibility? Please think twice about this ,,, Kim I'm a 28yr driver vetran

10. 10. darrell scholl [ October 08, 2017 @ 08:15AM ]

elds are not good for drivers, were not robots

11. 11. Gheorghe Blanari [ October 08, 2017 @ 11:44AM ]

prices on everything will go up...

12. 12. Christopher Pedro [ October 08, 2017 @ 12:09PM ]

Eld mandate needs revoked and reevaluated. There needs to be more flexibility in the hours of service. It's not a one rule fits all type situation.

13. 13. Christopher Pedro [ October 08, 2017 @ 12:11PM ]

Eld mandate needs to be revoked. Hours of service needs to expanded. Everyone is already rushing around and road rage is an every day occurrence. Pressuring drivers with a clock is not the solution.

14. 14. Tom Tripp [ October 08, 2017 @ 04:02PM ]

Safety first, but these ELDS are going to cause owner operators to lose money in many way.
    We set on locations for hours most times and we spend that time in the sleeper, but most cases its 6 or 7 hours and we are not payed by the hour..
    Thing is that we are payed percentage so half of the time we are deadheading and are nit responsible for a product.
    We should not be considered on duty or on duty driving while we are nit making money.
    Plus as it is the parking has already become a nightmare and this is with less than 1/3 of the trucks not running ELDs.
    How are we going to feed our families because of the loss of money due to the loss of hours.
    If your going to give exemptions to certain trucks and not others this is appalling.. thank you and God bless

15. 15. Charles McCrimmon [ October 08, 2017 @ 05:41PM ]

I've been in this industry for over thirty years now. Changing the hours of service to a 14/10 clock seems to me to have been a good idea as it keeps with a 24 hour circadian rhythm. However, I see absolutely no benefit that can come from mandating ELD's. Let the industry have the option of ELD' or paper logs. Enforce the current HOS allowing for a stopped clock if off duty or in the sleeper for two or more hours then a minimum 8 hour straight sleeper combined with the two hour break to restart the 10 hour drive time. Educate these kids that are being run thru the "driver mills" AKA truck driving schools. A safe and professional driver begins with how he/she is taught and trained. Also continued refresher training thruout their career. Again, mandating ELD's will not do anything positive toward increasing safety, only changing the way drivers are taught and trained in school, treated and paid by their employers will effect a positive change in the industry. YOU'RE ADDRESSING THE WRONG PROBLEM.

16. 16. Paul Kauffman [ October 08, 2017 @ 06:12PM ]

People please stop with the ELDS don't work for me because of how I need to drive. I don't like the ELD mandate eithet. But, everytime you attack it you are actually saying, "I need to be able to break the HOS rules.
    If you want to attack ELDS do it on the basis of invasion of privacy, or, like me, attack it because the Elog system actually interfered with the computer on my truck and caused a derate.
    if it is just that it doesn't work for you then you need to be addressing the HOS regulations. That is the real problem.

17. 17. Troy Hixenbaugh Sr [ October 08, 2017 @ 06:17PM ]

Well 14/10 HOS is fine with my company, but the sleeper/off duty split is a major issue, we need to be able to split our sleep time more efficiently. Like 5 & 5 or 6 & 4 and so forth as long as we get 10 hours of rest is what's important. The current 8/2 mandate is ludicrous. The 1/2 hour mini nap is just plain stupid, just another way to steal an extra 1/2 hour from our 14. ELD's.......big corporations in bed with the government to take total control of the biggest financial industry in the country. The ELD Mandate will achieve; more accidents, higher cost of living, less products being delivered, higher cost to the trucking companies (ELD plus monthly monitoring), unemployment, loss of small businesses. The cycle of losses is never ending. Please allow us to do what we were born to do, that's to supply our family, your family, and future generations and there families. We work hard so no one else has to. Thanks for reading.

18. 18. Kris Bair [ October 09, 2017 @ 04:06AM ]

The ELD is not about safety at all its these big companys trying to put the little guy like me an other owner ops outta business so they get all the loads an wealth. An makin people be on a clock is not going to make it safer all they will do is drive faster an cause more accident because everyone will be in such a hurry! We need more than 11 hrs drivin time in a day not less an we need more hrs of service time also. I mean who goes home at the end of there shift at a job an sleeps 10 hrs.

19. 19. Joe Savchenko [ October 09, 2017 @ 09:15AM ]

I congratulate!Another step to socialism and communism not to far. I Arrived in this wonderful country 22 years ago,18 years in trucking business,1 truck owner.Country of freedom of speech,religion and possibilities to do business.After revolution 1917th in Russia,the state took away all businesses and sent owners to Siberia for 15-25 years or shoot up.Today you tighten a loop of the neck of small trucking business.Thank you whatever doesn't sent to Siberia.Did not doles and food stamps yet abolish?I think what I know that I will do.God bless America!

20. 20. Mike Bertolis [ October 10, 2017 @ 09:32AM ]

I'm more for a revamp of the H.O.S like they were in 1998 when I first started driving. 8/10 with no 14 hour clock and split sleeper berth. I'd like to see the ELD mandate be forced onto companies who pump out these accident prone rookies with none to minimal training but not be forced upon everybody else. Stop trying to have more and more government control in an industry that is sorely misunderstood and discriminated against as it is.

21. 21. Mike Bertolis [ October 10, 2017 @ 09:33AM ]

Also...shippers and receivers need to be held to a standard as we drivers are. Hold them accountable for keeping trucks beyond a reasonable time.

22. 22. Kyle blubaugh [ October 10, 2017 @ 02:04PM ]

The ELD mandate is unconstitutional. I am an American truck driver, not a criminal. You strap a clock to a guy and he forgets safety. I see it every day, guy racing through towns, construction zones, pulling out infront of highway traffic. You are making a huge mistake by forcing these ELDs on us. Mark my words. When one of your family members gets killed by some uneducated truck driving school graduate racing his eld clock then will you finally understand. I put every dollar I earn into my one truck operation, your only making it more difficult for the small man.

23. 23. Tom J [ October 10, 2017 @ 10:22PM ]

I feel like a criminal when I cross scale on Iowa or highway in Oklahoma. Flash light blind me, camera take a photo of everyone. In US we have constitution. DOT should respect our rights. Most of scale house have cameras so why do we need ELD? They strictly check time so they easy can find out if someone cheating

24. 24. Bill [ October 11, 2017 @ 10:12AM ]

Bottom line is truckers need flexibility. Nobody wants to work 20 hours a day, but the 14 hour rule is too restrictive and counterproductive. Our government thinks this rule will eliminate people from driving tired, but when everything is said and done it does exactly what it was designed to prevent. All this rule does is force drivers to rush/speed and force them to drive tired at the end of a long day all while racing a clock. I propose that we eliminate the 14 hour rule and create a system which gives drivers the freedom to take breaks when they need to and not when the government tells us. This could be accomplished by allowing any 2 breaks that total 10 hours qualify as a split. Not just 8 and 2.

25. 25. Kenneth [ October 15, 2017 @ 10:21AM ]

Everything in these prior comments are true. After 24.5 years of safe driving I have to put a computer in my truck to tell me when I'm tired. Okay, I would challenge you to sit in the middle of a construction zone hidden with a radar gun and see who is speeding and driving unsafe! It's generally not the driver or operator that doesn't have an ELD or a regulated truck. It's always the company drivers who have all of this equipment. I pass them at 70 mph, we go through a construction zone and they pass me. Don't take any drivers word though, do a simple study. I know you think we all just want to cheat on our logs but that just isn't the case! The 14 hour rule needs to go away! I'm just not sure how you fix that. I know the half hour break needs to go away. Let me explain that, I used to stop about every two to three hours to stretch my legs and use the restroom. Since we have the 14 hour clock my time is limited so now if I have to take a break every 8 hours I can't afford to be taking two half hour breaks so I run 6 hours before I stop. This isn't good for my health. I now get a tingling sensation In my legs. They feel wobbly when I do stop. This can't be good. Anyway I could go on and on. I've tried to make this as easy to understand as possible for anyone who has never driven a truck. Thanks!

26. 26. Jose [ October 15, 2017 @ 09:43PM ]

About the e logs and all new rules they ben try to implement on us, everything in this priors comments are thru, and to make it short and understanding let me tell y'all this, i been driving for 27 years and back on the old days a was less accidents becouse when the driver feel tired he stop and rest, now with the new ELD everybody is rushing and fatigue and crashing becouse the racing against the clock, now they not just causing accidents but financially is hurting us, and all this it's about money for the big guys to try to sale there devices, for us they try to squize every penny out of are pocket

27. 27. Jose [ October 15, 2017 @ 10:00PM ]

Everything in this priors comments are thru, and to make it short and understanding I ben driving for 27 years, and back on the days before they start changing rule after rule a was less accidents, becouse when the driver feel tired he stop and rest, now what they ben created with this electronic devices is dead, is ben more accidents then before becouse they pushing the driver to drive fatigue now he is against the clock, now they want us to listen to a computer and not are body when to drive and when to stop, they not just hurting are bodies to drive fatigue but they hurting is financially, think about it

28. 28. Joe Swett [ October 16, 2017 @ 09:28AM ]

When did it become OK for the government to force you to pay for something. I’m still trying to sort out how AHCA is legal and this ELD is the same baloney. Not to mention a strict set of rules does not help anyone but those levying fines. Another money grab and attempt to break the small businessman. Want safety? Make the big box carriers train their drivers to be safe.

29. 29. steve mitchell [ October 20, 2017 @ 05:54AM ]

about a month ago I was in a full parking lot and got ran over by another rig and total my trailer because there was no parking so fmcsa about elds