TopNews

FMCSA Issues ELD Rule Guidance

September 2, 2016

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on Sept. 2 issued these “two important notes” on the final rule it has issued on electronic logging devices (ELDs) that emphasize the initial compliance date is less than 16 months away:

• “Carriers and drivers subject to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) who are using paper logs or logging software, must transition to ELDs by DECEMBER 17, 2017.  [Carriers and drivers using automatic onboard recording devices (AOBRDs) before December 18, 2017, may continue using AOBRDs through December 16, 2019.]
  • “Prior to purchasing an ELD, carriers and drivers should confirm that the device is CERTIFIED and REGISTERED with FMCSA and listed at this website: https://3pdp.fmcsa.dot.gov/ELD/ELDList.aspx. Devices not vendor-certified by manufacturers and registered with FMCSA may not be compliant with the FMCSRs.”

The agency also noted that it has posted “complete information” on the ELD final rule on a dedicated web page.

Comments

1. 1. Kenny Scott [ September 06, 2016 @ 05:13AM ]

FU

2. 2. Steve [ September 06, 2016 @ 05:34AM ]

What thes people do not know is that the government just raised their cost of living, Not to mention the other regulations coming down the road. Every time they add another regulation the cost of living goes up and more Experience Drivers Leave.

3. 3. BarbRRB [ September 06, 2016 @ 06:04AM ]

Still waiting for a miracle this will be overturned. I would be saying my retirement is December 17, 2017. I am covered by the exemption of keeping my old truck. My rights as an American citizen, I will stand and not be taken over by our dysfunctional Government. This is not going to save lives, this will only line the pockets of those who benefit. By all means if you want to run ELD's, great for you. This should be a choice is all I'm saying! As they say, stand for what you believe in or you will fall for everything.

4. 4. Mike [ September 06, 2016 @ 02:14PM ]

I'll use the ELD when we out monitoring devices on out politicians!

5. 5. ERic [ September 09, 2016 @ 05:30AM ]

Why is everyone scared?? If we (truckers) did a better job policing ourselves the government wouldn't be getting involved. We have all seen/heard/know drivers cheat but we just laugh and say" wait til he/she gets caught" if we would have reported to his/her company maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. I have called police on drivers doing wrong to help make road safer what have you done???

6. 6. Jimmy Holcomb [ September 09, 2016 @ 07:54AM ]

We have only ever used elds. Been driving about 6 years. My wife and I team and rarely ever run out of hours but I can see the problem for solos.
    There are times when really need my 10 hour break. Other times I could take a nap and would be ok for another 8 hours or so. I guess I'm thinking you can't govern people who are stupid and take chances.
    Even with Elds s driver can stay up all day. Do things around the house. Go to the bars, etc and the Eld would still let him drive all night.

7. 7. C. H. Robinson [ September 25, 2016 @ 03:42PM ]

Just read about a plan in Portland Oregon regarding a new design for the light rail system.. The novel approach they proposed was going to the people it will be affecting, to crowd source ideas, ideas that would tailor the new system to meet the new needs of the city.
    .....There is so much rancor and misinformation regarding the ELD's and Governors that this may be an idea that would get a real consensus from the majority of the stakeholders and veer decisions away from the moneyed lobbyists. Yes, we know that
    lobbyists are making $400,000 to sway FMCSA and Congress.convince the above mentioned agencies to agree with them.
    ....ELD's are the wrong solution to fix the wrong problem. Why is there never a mention of asking the Seven Million drivers, whose livelyhood you are messing with, what they need to be both safe and economically viable?????
    .....Portland Oregon is right. We need to think outside the box, we need all the stakeholders at the table and we need all the moneyed interests to leave the room and wait in the lobby downstairs.
    So, let's crowd source rather than just mandate without a clear problem being defined. Define the problems in this manner, reaching as many stakeholders (us) as possible. Then hold sessions in Washington with this information as your guide. It will be just like Democracy then, you know, whereas right now it is like taxation without representation.

8. 8. Kyle [ October 02, 2016 @ 06:24PM ]

I agree with a lot of drivers about the ELD being a bad thing for the drivers. I also understand owner operators are once again being pushed out of business because of new regulations to have a CDL. I also know that if you can't make a good living to care for your family. It's time to work somewhere else.

9. 9. rick [ March 05, 2017 @ 03:22PM ]

I have been trucking for along time now what I see is cars going from left lane to exit wright in front of trucks like its some kind of game. cutting in front of them and stepping on there brakes because they got slowed down its not elds we need we need officers to start stopping stupid car drivers and a system that teaches how to drive around trucks