TopNews

Trucking Loses 6,800 Jobs in March

April 3, 2015

Graph showing trucking employment from 2013 through 2015. Graph: Department of Labor

The trucking industry lost 6,800 jobs in March-- the first such drop since 2013, according to the latest employment numbers from the Department of Labor. The report did not specify the types of trucking jobs or segments that contributed to the loss.

Despite the drop in trucking, overall employment increased by 126,000 jobs for the month and the unemployment rate remained unchanged at 5.5%.  Average hourly earnings for all employees also rose in March by 7 cents to $24.86.

The American Trucking Associations' chief economist Bob Costello tweeted about the drop in trucking jobs, calling it substantial. He also commented on the overall employment increase saying that it undercut expectations, but was in line with similar weak showings in January and February.

Recently, Costello released a report on high driver-turnover rates among large and small truckload carriers. The numbers were taken as indicators that the driver shortage was becoming more pervasive in the truckload sector. Costello observed that  “we expect the problem to get worse in the near term.”

Comments

1. 1. Stephen [ April 04, 2015 @ 08:37AM ]

I just came from the salvation army homeless shelter and found 3 truck drivers out of the 50 homeless people staying there. I volunteer told me that canadain goverement who she works for is getting tired of truck driver getting ripped off then living at the shelter until they can get another line of work.

2. 2. Bill Hood [ April 06, 2015 @ 04:01AM ]

Stephen, I find your comments interesting since a qualified driver can be seated overnight at best and within a week at worst. If someone is smart and plans it right, they can turn their truck in, get on a bus and be at a hotel waiting for orientation.

This sounds like you have an issue with the industry (as do I) but didn't stop to think about how there must be more to this than "I got ripped off and now am homeless".

3. 3. Patrick [ April 06, 2015 @ 06:27AM ]

Bill I guess you missed the last part where he said the truck drivers tired of getting ripped up it seems to be the case with in the industry the company promises you the world to come work for them but then treats you like jackass while you're there.

4. 4. mike shina [ April 06, 2015 @ 07:10AM ]

I too stick up for drivers majority of the time however, some people just are lousy drivers to work with. (" Its my way or the highway" syndrome)

5. 5. carl kwiecien [ April 13, 2015 @ 07:57AM ]

When the goverment changes us from unskilled labor to skilled labor and pays us for all time worked including overtime for work over 40 hrs, then there won't be a driver shortage. I'm a 3rd generation truck driver and I love driving a tractor trailer it's in my blood, But I wouldn't recommend it as a career choice.

6. 6. Kenny Dunn [ April 16, 2015 @ 07:38PM ]

I definately agree with your not recommending it as a career choice. I have been driving for a little over three years, and it is really a work-a-holic business. I own my own truck right now..and you really have to understand business. Almost every freind I had who bought a 2010 lost an incredible amount of money fixing their trucks. I am buying a glider now, and hoping to raise enough money to protect me if california law passes across all 50 states. If this happens, I believe it will financially destroy everyone involved in independant trucking. When teh emission system fails, it destroys components on the truck also--you have to fix them both. I wnt down 23000 in 10 months on just maintenance on a 2010 with 390000 miles to start with. It is a unbeleivable nightmare.

7. 7. Ed [ May 07, 2015 @ 01:27PM ]

The trend will get much worse in years to come. Cameras in driver's faces(most guys do not like their picture taken or a camera in their face 24/7), robot driving trucks, older drivers retiring for good, more drivers getting shot at or killed on the road, more load high jackings, crime rate going up with stuff being robbed of your trucks, cost of insurance going threw the roof, larger companies buying out smaller companies, large companies Corning the market place by under cutting prices, driving the driver's pay down but making more profits to shear holders and not to company employees, more and more managers with no driving experience or class 1/3 licenses or knowledge of how the trucking business even works(more and more idiots in charge).

All will make the employment rate drop like a rock.