National Tank Truck Carriers has named eight professional tank truck drivers as finalists in the selection process to become the recipient of the Usher Award recognizing the tank truck industry’s professional driver of the year.
The award is named for William A. Usher, Sr., of Louisville-based Usher Transport for his extensive career in and service to the tank truck industry. NTTC member Baldwin & Lyons is the official sponsor of the award.
The finalists have clocked over 20,898,124 collective accident free miles.
Finalists include the following professional drivers:
- Allen Blair- Miller Transporters; Petal, Miss.
- Robert Coverson- Dupré Logistics, LLC; Missouri City, Texas
- Ronald Evans- Liquid Cargo Inc.; Crown Point, Ind.
- Ronald Hawkins- K-Limited Carrier LTD; Perrysburg, Ohio
- Benjamin Robbins, Jr.- Quality Distribution; Salem, N.J.
- James Starr- Groendyke Transport; Wichita, Kansas
- Robert Stevens- McKenzie Tank Lines; Panama City, Fla.
- Robert Weller- Hahn Transportation; Monrovia, Md.
Finalists will now move forward to the final round of the selection process, which will be held Jan. 30, in Arlington, Va. A panel of industry officials will judge the contestants on their knowledge of the trucking industry, dedication to safety, ability to communicate the industry’s messages, and overall safe driving record.
The 2013-2014 Usher Award recipient will be announced in Las Vegas, Nev. at NTTC’s 66th Annual Conference & Exhibits on April 28. During the champion’s one-year term, the Usher Award winner will serve as the NTTC spokesperson for the industry and will attend many NTTC events.