Derek Canard, of the Arkansas Hihgway Police, was awarded the Jimmy K. Ammons Grand Champion Award at NAIC 2013.
A group of 52 of the best of the best roadside inspectors representing jurisdictions across North America gathered in Salt Lake City, August 19-23, 2013, to compete in the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s North American Inspectors Championship.
This year, Officer Derek Canard of the Arkansas Highway Police was awarded the Jimmy K. Ammons Grand Champion Award for his combined performances in six competition elements: 1. North American Standard Level I Inspection; 2. North American Standard Level I Inspection Procedures; 3. North American Standard HazMat/Transportation of Dangerous Goods Inspection; 4. North American Standard Cargo Tank/Other Bulk Packagings Inspection; 5. North American Standard Level V Passenger Vehicle (Motorcoach) Inspection; and, 6. North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria Exam.
NAIC is the only international event dedicated to recognizing and rewarding commercial vehicle inspector excellence. It is sponsored by CVSA and many of its valued associate members. Each year, member jurisdictions throughout North America are invited to participate in this important event.
For the past 21 years, the championship event has been held in partnership with the American Trucking Associations’ National Truck Driving Championships.
In addition to the Grand Champion award, the following additional awards were presented:
- High Points United States: Derek Canard, Arkansas
- High Points Canada: Darren Kennedy, British Columbia
- North American Standard Level I Inspection: First Place—Derek Canard, Arkansas; Second place—Joshua Anderson, North Dakota; Third Place—J.W. Watlington, Arizona
- North American Standard Level V Passenger Vehicle (Motorcoach) Inspection: First Place—Derek Canard, Arkansas; Second Place—Brad Yates, Louisiana; Third Place—Michael Robson, Alberta
- North American Standard Hazardous Materials/Transportation of Dangerous Goods and Cargo Tank/Bulk Packagings Inspection: First Place—Derek Canard, Arkansas; Second Place—Joshua Anderson, North Dakota; Third Place—J.W. Watlington, Arizona.
- John Youngblood Award of Excellence is a special award NAIC contestants bestow on a fellow NAIC inspector who exemplifies the high standards and unwavering dedication to the profession. The award this year goes to William Keane of the New York State Police.
- Team Award: Yellow Team: Team Leader—Lane Murphy, Utah; Jorge Antenucci—New Jersey; Lance Bonney—Illinois; Derek Canard—Arkansas; Tom Forbes—Ohio; Scott Hill—Lewisville, Texas; Darren Kennedy—British Columbia; Richard Moore—Vermont; Charles Shaver—Tennessee; Brad Yates—Louisiana