TopNews

72-Hour Truck Inspection Blitz Set For June 3-5

May 8, 2013

By Evan Lockridge

This year's Roadcheck is June 4-6.
This year's Roadcheck is June 4-6.

The annual three-day roadside commercial vehicle safety crackdown known as Roadcheck will focus this year on cargo securement and educating drivers about the upcoming changes in hours of service regulations.

The event, organized by the truck safety officials group the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, involves thousands of CVSA-certified local, state and federal commercial vehicle inspections fanning out across North America at some 1,500 locations, June 3-5.

“We want to encourage understanding by drivers and carrier managers of the driver and vehicle regulations, to conduct inspections, and issue violations where necessary,” says William P. Schaefer, director, vehicle programs, CVSA. “We collect vehicle, driver, and hazardous materials inspection violation data for comparison to previous years.”

He says part of the effort will also include distributing visor cards, provided by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, that outline the new driver hours of service regulations effective July 1, 2013. Those regulations are currently undergoing a legal challenge, but there is no guarantee a court will rule on it by time the new rules take effect.

Since the first Roadcheck in 1988, more than a million roadside inspections have been conducted during the events. Last year 74,072 truck and bus inspections were performed during Roadcheck. Of those inspections, 48,815 were North American Standard Level 1 inspections, the most comprehensive roadside inspection. Of those, 22.4% of vehicles and 3.9% of drivers were placed out of service, both near historic lows.

CVSA offers a checklist of safety tips of what to check out on trucks, which are many of the same items inspectors will be looking for.

Comments

1. 1. Vin [ May 09, 2013 @ 07:11AM ]

We got hammered a few years ago during the inspection week. I convinced my boss to get us one of those MUTT trailer testers which worked out to be cheaper than the total fines (had a few put out of service). Since then we have had zero problems. The MUTT lets you check out lights, abs, and air brakes. The air brake part was our biggest problem, since we were understaffed it was hard to find somebody to hit the brakes while you watch. The MUTT comes with a remote so it only takes one guy. It also lets you know if you have any wiring issues, which is much better than poking around with a test light. I don't know how the DOT hasn't found out about these yet, but I hope they don't. Its a good advantage to have something in your shop with more power than the guys writing the tickets.

2. 2. Jeremy [ May 15, 2013 @ 02:39PM ]

Vin,
    Vin,
    There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of advancements in technology like the MUTT system, however if that alone made all the difference to your roadside OOS's that indicated to me that a lack of mechanical knowledge and training for workers was more of an issue than being short staffed as every driver should be able to easily pre-trip his/her own equipment proficiently alone. For instance, in a class 8 tractor merely haning a jacket on the trailer airbrake skike valve on the dash/steering colum depending on the model will not only illuminate all the brake lights on both truck and trailer, it will also allow you at a glance to see the pushrod travel on the trailer brakes under application. If you turn on your 4-way flashers at the same time you can tell if you have a wiring and/or grounding issue by the illumination differentiation of the lights. No, I am not a mechanic, I have spent many years driving though and believe that any driver should know their equipment inside and out, not just be able to steer between the painted lines on a road. I have also been a safety director and trainer in the trucking industry, and suggest that your company either get one, or replace the one you have because these techniques are elementary or atleast should be to any driver worth their hire and your safety/training dept. should be educating those in your companies employ.

3. 3. Jeremy [ May 15, 2013 @ 02:40PM ]

. Again yet another stunning example of why driving should be made a profession, not just called one. If you want to be a red seal certified mechanic you will have to go through a rigorous apprenticeship program, take atleast 4 years of supervised training assuming you don't specialize before you will be certified, yet if you want to be a driver all you need is enough money to rent a truk and pass a simple driving test and now you are a "professional" truck driver. Extremely sad considering a truck driver is many times more likely to kill someone through negligence than a mechanic ever is. As far as "the guys writing the tickes" go if you don't know more about the equipment that you are opperating than they do, you need a career change and shouldn't be driving a pedal bike. The inspectrions they do roadside are extremely superficial in nature, and if proper pre-trip inspections are being done, they would never find any faults or deficiencies unless something had a catestrofic mechanical failure immediately prior to their inspection.

4. 4. Peter Hoath [ June 02, 2013 @ 07:48PM ]

Hi from the land down under we are copping three weeks worth or the same thing in eastern australia at the moment the usual harrasment if documentation is not perfect along with roadside drug and booze bus and a fair dose of the media so they can try to make us look like criminals as much as possible. All it acheaves is wasting a half hour each time which would be far better spent in the bunk. But hey I'm just a dumb truckie why would I know what keeps me safe. Regards Peter

5. 5. Patricia Bare [ June 02, 2013 @ 08:19PM ]

Hi, Just another dumb truckerbut my husband an I do a pre trip inspection every trip before we leave our companies home yard! I have passed a level 3 and a level 1 inspection. As long as you do what you're suppose to do by inspections you don't give the DOT a chance to make a name for themselves, you're making one for you and your company!

6. 6. michael [ June 02, 2013 @ 09:47PM ]

Hey Jeremy truck not truk

7. 7. Ham-n-Cheese [ June 03, 2013 @ 08:35AM ]

Sadly, though comments are valid, it's the people that don't do a 'pre-hitting-the-post-comment-button-spell-check-inspection' that really make us look like dumb truckers. I mean come on! If your going to rant and try to make someone else look bad...try making sure your not making yourself look like an idiot. Just sayin'...

8. 8. eric [ June 03, 2013 @ 11:31AM ]

Its funny that 90 percent of the cvsa officers doing the inspections have not even had their asses in a big truck!

9. 9. Mike [ June 03, 2013 @ 07:49PM ]

Can't go by spec unless the mto has proper tools and jack up vehicles, which they are not required to do. Some how they have x ray vision

10. 10. James [ June 03, 2013 @ 09:23PM ]

Inspectors don't need to have had time behind the wheel of a big, that's not what they are there for. They are there to make money for their government masters and shoot themselves in the foot in the process by making the trucking industry look like a negative thing. How would you get your fresh vegetables, flat screen tv, Harley Davidson, and king sized mattress from the store to your house if there was no commercial trucks on the road trying to feed the publics unquenchable hunger for cheap, mass produced consumer goods? Who are the people really responsible for all the heavy trucks on the road? The trucking companies, or the greedy, lazy, dependent everyday citizen that relies solely on the continued supply lines of the trucking companies for their very survival? You tell me?

11. 11. Lucas Knight Sr [ June 03, 2013 @ 10:54PM ]

I think the idiots making up all these bullshit rules should drive a truck for about a month and they would change their minds .Cant get home to their families because of some computer telling you what to do.DOT NOT FOR SAFTEY JUST MONEY.And the roads still ruff as hell so where the money goen they takeing from the truckers

12. 12. MoE [ June 04, 2013 @ 03:15AM ]

Lol

13. 13. MoE [ June 04, 2013 @ 03:17AM ]

Its just crazy how pencil pushers..destroy the trucking industry. Worse than people with guns

14. 14. Vinnie [ June 04, 2013 @ 09:44AM ]

AMEN James couldn't have said it better LOL

15. 15. Dave G. [ June 04, 2013 @ 10:16PM ]

We wouldn't be in this mess if everyone would refused to drive for companies that have E log or other b/s devices. I walked from a company being there 19 years. Because they went to e-log. I'll be damed if a computer is going to tell me what to do or keep me from getting a hot meal or a shower. We sacrifice enough out here being away from friends and family. The trucking industry is going down the toilet fast. It's sad to say but we are the largest work force in the county possibly in the world but we get screwed with the most. I'm sorry for the innocent people who get hurt or killed out here by big trucks.If you look at the big picture tho. I don't think we are the main cause of most accidents out here.But when a big truck is involved we are front center. We are treated like children out here.

16. 16. Lisa [ June 05, 2013 @ 04:36AM ]

Please forward this to the group... This, more than anything, is why we can expect capacity to be shot this week

17. 17. Klynn [ June 12, 2013 @ 12:12PM ]

My husband had been driving for 10+ years. He likes the e-logs. To many companies make their drivers run illegal. You either run over your hours or you don't have a job. How many drivers drive extremely tired!!! Yes it sucks to be gone away from families but that's the nature of the beast. Yes...we would not have a lot without big rigs...thank you all. Some companies threaten the drivers with being fired if they don't run ILLEGAL and they still don't make any more money. The drivers loose their lively hood if they get in trouble not the companies. They can recover.

18. 18. travis [ May 06, 2014 @ 08:50AM ]

Educate drivers Hell, on fines maybe. You know we need good law enforcement and regulation. Truck drivers, especially company drivers they hire cant think for them serfs. I get it, but when is enough enough, when does the focus shift from fining to educating. You know if youre truly concerned about driver and public safety you'd focus on training and quit putting drivers on the road after a two week crash coarse on a class room. Sit in a truck stop parking lot for one hour and you'll see the difference between a real, safe driver, and a steering wheel holder that thinks hes cool because his truck can go 67 mph in the parking lot as well as the highway. Instead of screwing all of us educate your yuppy drivers and leave us real men alone to do our jobs

19. 19. PERRY [ May 06, 2014 @ 10:09AM ]

Its all about the money,anymore

20. 20. jana banana [ May 06, 2014 @ 10:36AM ]

Travis, Experienced drivers are not a better driver simply because they've done it longer. I am fairly new to the business and my course was an accredited school for nearly 2 months followed by 7 weeks OTR training. I too sit in lots and watch just as many vets drive like idiots as the rookies. It's sad too that a lot of older drivers don't have a minute to advise new guys. A little sympathy and guidance could save someone's life, driver.

21. 21. Dima [ May 06, 2014 @ 11:11AM ]

Keep your rig clean and legal and logs according to the regulations and youll be fine. Has noyhing to do with your drivig. Its really not that hard. And as far as new drivers goes. I teach them how to drive. Have been for 4 years now. And all you (expirienced. old school drivers) also began as newbies. Remember that. One thing I teach is when you become cocky thats when you hit trouble. And most of the expirienced driver are all about being cocky. I have 4 years and over half a million miles under my belt and I still consider my self a newbie. But my rig is clean and legal and electronic logs. So bring it on DOT.

22. 22. Trucker Tim [ May 06, 2014 @ 07:59PM ]

I've been trucking since 2000 and have a little over a Million miles accident free and ticket free as well, I take my job very serious and Safety is my number 1 priority, what I find interesting are the truckers old or new that have no respect for other drivers, lane changes using there turn signal and not looking in their mirror (passenger side) when they pass you on the left, they think there trailer is pulling straight behind them.I do a lot of oversized loads and constantly have to run the rumble strip because of some wanna be trucker that doesn't use his mirrors as they pass you.(As for Dima's comment above saying he has over a half a million miles in 4 yrs I dont think so thats over 250,000 miles in a yr and 20833 in a month which means he never goes home and never gets off his truck, constantly working all the time and never doing a restart..CAN'T HAPPEN DIMA!

23. 23. Radu [ May 06, 2014 @ 09:07PM ]

Trucker Tim, i think you're really bad with the math, over 500k in 4 years means over 125k a year so wake up :)))

24. 24. Radu [ May 06, 2014 @ 09:08PM ]

Nothing personal

25. 25. PD McCloud [ May 07, 2014 @ 02:03AM ]

Editors: Need to check your dates for the 2014 safety blitz. It's actually 6/3 - 6/5.http://www.cvsa.org/programs/int_roadcheck.php

26. 26. Culver [ May 07, 2014 @ 01:58PM ]

Well there is a lot of very horrible truck drivers out there.. Very few are actually good at their job or actually know anything about a truck.. It's very sad when you think about it.. I've been working heavy equipment Contruction and hauling cows for over 5 years now.. Never once have I been cocky untill recently when I started a career in the oil field.. Everything I knew and loved I sold out for a career in oil.. Need less to say I'm mostly pissed off that there are so many people that have there CDL and have been doing this bla bla bla F$?!@$?! Bla... If you can't back a trailer comfortably or look in your mirrors to see the curb or mortorcycle or child you just ran over, I hope the DOT takes out the 5 gallons of Vaseline on you.. But as far as my muffler leak on this 970 mile long haul with some steers go.. Ill end up in jail over some of the smart as shit the DOT thinks they know... Most of them are as bad as most of you.. SAD but TRUE.. Keep your Rig clean and pay attention to your surroundings.. Make all the other drivers wanna be you instead of making them all look down upon you.. Learn your truck, ask questions to more experienced hands.. Don't be a know it all goober smhootching good buddy like all the other block the fuel island lazy moth........ Anyway, if you can perform your own level 1 inspection, then all will be fine!!!

27. 27. Culver [ May 07, 2014 @ 02:04PM ]

If you can't perform a level 1 inspection on your own truck, then you shouldn't be behind the wheel of one and YOU, my friend, are the reason the DOT exist..

28. 28. Gary cook [ May 07, 2014 @ 06:33PM ]

Their is no reason why truck drivers fear these inspections they can do them anytime.a truck driver is a paid professional.its the drivers responsibility to make sure his/her truck is safe to drive.its the drivers responsibility to make sure that his/her hours of service are in compliance.if you you get inspected be professional and you will be treated like a professional.

29. 29. Culver [ May 07, 2014 @ 08:20PM ]

He is correct! Don't let some boss man tell you to drive something you know isn't safe.. You are the one putting peoples lives at stake... The ICC is their for everyone's saftey, including yours... That's what they care about, peoples lives

30. 30. shaun [ May 08, 2014 @ 03:03AM ]

In New Brunswick they seem to focus more on if your carrying native tabacco. Kinda comical really.....

31. 31. shaun [ May 08, 2014 @ 03:07AM ]

If you are professional youll get treated like one.....is that what you said???? Where are you from......not anywhere near where i live thats for sure.....

32. 32. geoff [ May 08, 2014 @ 04:46AM ]

Culver icc is the dot has never been about Safety, but how much Money they can get out of these trucking company's.

33. 33. Culver [ May 08, 2014 @ 07:15AM ]

Yeah Dot.. Same shit.. And yes.. It is about money more than anything but I've seen a lot of stupid fucking truckers that are dead now cause of their stupidity.. And if they had simple shit like 2 more chains or straps they would have lived.. No one deserves to die out here.. And none of us 3rd gen wild cats need to be put on the same list as bullshit these new kids out to play... But, it is a game and I will continue to play it so I can make my money! Have a lovely day! And Trucker Tim? Hell yeah! Tell that pussy!!

34. 34. jackie batts [ May 08, 2014 @ 09:12AM ]

A know a marine that has driven allhis life at least 40 plus if there's work or someone needs a dispatcher contact me. He loves dot!! That's his lively hood lives in Evansville in there's nothing he can't do!

35. 35. Rich Kruml [ May 19, 2014 @ 12:25PM ]

BLITZ...the name given to the Nazi raids on England in WWII...not so much different with the stinking D O T

36. 36. Steve [ June 05, 2014 @ 03:14PM ]

Atta girl Patricia . Proper pre-trip inspections save more than reputations , they save lives. PRE, MID and POST. Up here at Mile zero of the Alaska Highway, our lives depend on it. As far as DOT 72hr Blitzes We have one happening right now. Ok CVSE bring it on I want to know if I'm running out of compliance. great to apply an CVSA decal on my unit. I have been in the transportation of petroleum fluids since 1980. with no fear of the DOT. And Shaun..Appears you should be driving for another company, or grow up !