Truck drivers can now drive the entire length of U.S. Interstate 5 between Seattle and San Diego and parallel State Route 99 in California and get restful sleep without idling the truck engine, running down batteries or firing up an APU.
Shorepower Technologies recently completed the installation of power pedestals and held a grand opening at the Pilot Flying J Travel Plaza in Frazier Park/Lebec, Calif.
Interstate 5 through California, Oregon and Washington and parallel State Route 99 in the San Joaquin Valley now becomes the first interstate corridor in which truck drivers can use just shore power during rest periods to stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer, while also running all of their “hotel loads.”
Because it parallels Interstate 5, truckers often use portions of California State Route 99 near Bakersfield and Fresno and in southern San Joaquin County to avoid congestion on U.S. Interstate 5. State Route 99 also passes through the center of the San Joaquin Valley, one of the world’s most productive agricultural regions.
The Pilot Flying J Travel Plaza in Lebec joins five other truckstops and travel centers equipped with Shorepower Technologies pedestals in California, three in Oregon and one in Washington. Seven of the 10 Shorepower Technologies locations also provide connections to 480-volt power for hybrid-refrigerated trailers.
Shorepower pedestals provide access to 120-volt, 208-volt or 240-volt power sources, at a rate of $1 per hour, with cable TV available at a number of locations.
The TSE locations along the I-5 corridor are (from north to south – near Interstate 5 exits, unless otherwise noted):
• Gee Cee’s Truck Stop, Exit 57, 123 Foster Creek Rd., Toledo, Wash. 98591 — 24 plug-ins.
• Jubitz Travel Center, Exit 307, 33 N.E. Middlefield Road, Portland, Ore. 97211 – 24 plug-ins.
• Truck ‘N Travel/TA, Exit 199, 32910 E. Pearl St., Coburg, Ore. 97408 — 24 plug-ins.
• Seven Feathers Truck and Travel, Exit 99, 130 Jeffreys Road, Canyonville, Ore. 97417 — 36 plug-ins and six 480-volt refrigeration unit connections.
• Pilot Travel Center, Exit 745, 395 E. Vista Dr., Weed, Calif. 96094 — 36 plug-ins and nine 480-volt refrigeration unit connections.
• Pilot Travel Center, County Road 8/Exit 554, 30035 County Road 8, Dunnigan, Calif. 95937 — 24 plug-ins and five 480-volt refrigeration unit connections.
• Sacramento 49er Travel Plaza, 2828 El Centro Road, Sacramento, Calif. 95833. This non-Shorepower Technologies TSE location is near the Interstate 80 and Interstate 5 interchange, Exit 522.
• Flying J Travel Plaza, Exit 485, 15100 N. Thornton Road, Lodi, Calif. 95242 — 36 plug-ins and five 480-volt refrigeration unit connections.
• Pilot Travel Center, 22717 Ave. 18 1Ž2 Suite A, Madera, Calif. 93637. This non-Shorepower Technologies TSE location is located near Exit 159 on California State Route 99 about 60 miles east of Exit 403 on Interstate 5.
• Love’s Travel Stops, 1553 Colony Rd., Suite B, Ripon Calif. 95366. This non-Shorepower Technologies TSE location is 11 miles east of the Interstate 5 and Highway 120 interchange.
• E-Z Trip Golden State, 6725 N. Golden State Blvd., Fresno, Calif. 93722 — 24 plug-ins and five 480-volt refrigeration unit connections. E-Z Trip Golden State is located near Exit 142/3 on California State Route 99, about 50 miles east of Exit 368 on Interstate 5.
• Flying J Travel Plaza – Bakersfield, 17047 Zachary Ave., Bakersfield, Calif. 93308 — 36 plug-ins and five 480-volt refrigeration unit connections. This Shorepower Technologies location is near Exit 39/Merced Avenue on California State Route 99, about 31 miles southeast of Exit 278/California 46 East/Paso Robles Highway on Interstate 5.
• Bruce’s Truck Stop, 8401 E. Brundage Lane, Bakersfield, Calif. 93307. This non-Shorepower Technologies TSE location is 30 miles east of Exit 253 on Interstate 5.
• Flying J Travel Plaza, Exit 205, 42810 Frazier Mountain Park Road, Frazier Park/Lebec, Calif. 93243 — 24 plug-ins and five 480-volt refrigeration unit connections.