The sixty-four responses received by CK Commercial Vehicle Research to their Q1 2013 Fleet Sentiment Report inquiry show positive signs for medium and heavy commercial truck and trailer purchases.
The FSR Buying Index, which captures overall planned buying activity for the next three months, has risen above the 100 benchmark for the first time since the inception of the index in Q1 2008.
Highlights from the Q1 2013 Fleet Sentiment Report:
· FSR Buying Index at 103.8 highest since Q2 2012. The Buying Index measures the percent of fleets planning to buy medium- or heavy-duty trucks and trailers, along with expected volume of those orders, for the three months following the inquiry.
· New orders are primarily for replacement needs.
· Q1 2013 showed a 15% year-over-year improvement in the number of fleets that planned to order trucks.
· Great Dane will receive the largest portion of trailer orders from the group responding to Q1 2013 survey.
· The majority of fleets responding have sufficient freight demand to meet their fleet capacity, and 43% are impacted by a shortage of drivers for current equipment.
· “Driver education and experience” was chosen by the largest percentage of survey participants to have a positive impact on fuel efficiency. Other items that can or have improved fuel efficiency identified by over 50% were: speed governors, idle control products, aero cab designs, low rolling resistant tires, engine characteristics, aluminum wheels and automatic tire inflation systems.