Over the next three weeks, beginning Tuesday night, April 11, expect lane closures as well as traffic stoppages on I-95 at Springfield, VA, weeknights between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
The lane closures will allow construction crews to set approximately 20 steel girders weighing up to 30 tons each into position for the new Commerce Street Bridge.
On April 11-13 (Tuesday night to Friday morning) the following closures will affect northbound traffic:
· The I-95 HOV lanes between Route 234/Dumfries and Springfield will be closed from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. The HOV lanes will be open from Edsall Road to the Pentagon.
· HOV ramp from Old Keene Mill Road will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
· Two left lanes on I-95 northbound between Exit 169 (Springfield) and the Commerce Street Bridge will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
· One HOV lane will remain closed in Springfield between Exit 169 and the Commerce Street Bridge from 3 a.m. to 5 a.m.
The following week, April 17-20 (Monday night to Friday morning) the following lane closures will affect southbound traffic:
· Complete traffic stoppages on I-95 southbound for approximate 20 minute-periods up to five times between 12 a.m. and 5 a.m.
· I-95 HOV lanes will remain open southbound until 3 a.m. The HOV lanes will open for northbound traffic at 3 a.m.
· One of two HOV lanes between the Beltway and Springfield will close at 9:30 p.m.
· The two right lanes on I-395/95 south between the Beltway and Springfield will be closed from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. No Exit at Springfield from the I-395 South Lane. The only available exit at Springfield is from the HOV lane until 3 a.m. The I-395 south lane is a through lane. Motorists may exit at the next exit, Newington, and take Backlick Road back to Springfield or crossover and take I-95 north and exit at Springfield.
· I-95 southbound ramps from the Beltway will be reduced from two lanes to one lane.
On April 24-27 (Monday night to Friday morning), the following closures will affect northbound traffic:
· Two right lanes on I-95 north, between Exit 169 (Springfield) and north of the Commerce Street Bridge will be closed from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
· Expect complete traffic stoppages for 20 minutes periods, as many as five times, on I-95 north between midnight and 5 a.m.
If you're familiar with the Springfield area, you may want to consider the alternate route signs that will be posted on I-66, I-95, the Capital Beltway and on Old Keene Mill Road.