First Shipper/Receiver Panel Successful
May 2, 1999
The Truckload Carriers Assn. held the first meeting of its new Shipper/Receiver Panel April 13 in Chicago. TCA says progress was made in finding ways to reduce driver waiting time at loading and unloading docks.
TCA related the findings of its refrigerated and dry van driver surveys, which showed that truck drivers spend an excessive amount of time waiting to load and unload, as well as actually loading and unloading.
Some of the steps the panel agreed on include:
· Continue to define the cost of the problem.
· Identify problem areas by sector, company and location.
· Develop case studies of success stories.
· Update the National Industrial Transportation League's Code of Ethics.
· Increase awareness on proposed changes at DOT and OSHA that will have an impact on dock practices.
· Seek out speaking engagements before important shipper/receiver groups and present a panel of carriers, shippers and receivers, possibly even a driver.
The panel included shippers such as J.C. Penney, Ralston Purina, Procter & Gamble, Wal-Mart and Kroger. It already has scheduled four follow-up meetings and workshops for the rest of the year.
For more information on TCA, visit http://www.truckload.org.