Safety & Compliance

FMCSA Warns of Hazards of E-Smoking and Trucks

August 03, 2016

Electronic nicotine-delivery system products Image: FDA
Electronic nicotine-delivery system products Image: FDA

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has issued a safety advisory warning of the hazards of using battery-powered portable electronic smoking devices (e-cigarettes, e-cigs, e-cigars, e-pipes, e-hookahs, personal vaporizers and other electronic nicotine delivery systems) in and around commercial motor vehicles.

The agency said the use of such devices has resulted in incidents that include explosions, serious personal injuries, and fires.

“The explosions regularly involved the ejection of a burning battery case or other components from the device which subsequently ignited nearby flammable or combustible materials,” FMCSA noted.

While Federal Hazardous Materials Regulations and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations do not specifically address the potential safety risks posed by the portable electronic devices, the agency advised that “motor carriers and drivers should be cognizant of the risks associated with these devices and exercise good judgment and appropriate discretion in their possession, storage, and charging or use on, around, or while operating a CMV, and adhere to the smoking prohibitions on, near, or when loading and unloading a motor vehicle transporting hazardous materials in accordance with 49 CFR 177.834(c) and 397.13.”

Comments

1. 1. Bill [ August 04, 2016 @ 03:46AM ]

Or you could just buy the kind that don't explode. I've been using an "e-smoking" device since they came out and have had no issues whatsoever. Saving about $1k annually. Too many other benefits to list. Haters are gonna hate, and stupid fucks will always be stupid fucks.

2. 2. Joseph [ August 04, 2016 @ 04:10AM ]

I guess one "stupid [email protected]*%" begets another...gotta love ignorance. Just because you don't agree doesn't give you privilege to cast aspersions. "Or you can just buy the kind that don't explode..." - Well I am sure that NONE of the e-cig manufacturers designed their products to explode but things can and do happen. I mean, outside of ammunition, WOMD, and fireworks manufacturers, does anybody design their product to explode? Wise up or shut up but let's have an adult discussion about this, without the vulgarity or senseless name-calling. If you come correct we may even invite you to sit at the grown ups table. On a side note, Short term benefits notwithstanding, I will be curious to see in a few years what scientists list as the long term effects of E-cigarettes are.

3. 3. Steve [ August 04, 2016 @ 04:55AM ]

And cell phone batteries are 10 times more likely to overheat / explode...shall we ban them too? OK...so they aren't explicitly calling for a band....yet. The writing is on the wall though...this is just the first step. We talk about haters hating...how about the haters that simply don't like ANYONE smoking? They are making up science to support their snobbish, biased opinions.

And no, I'm NOT a smoker! Never have been, never will be. But I fully support those that wish to.

4. 4. Tom [ August 05, 2016 @ 03:53AM ]

Joseph, who made you the arbiter of free speach? If Bill disagrees with the government and it's intrusive ways, it IS his privilage and his right as an American to express his views using whatever language he sees fit in order to get his point across. If someone expresses an opinion that is disagreeable to you, why don't YOU just wise up or shut up or just take your PC bullshit and jam it up your ass.

5. 5. Bill [ August 05, 2016 @ 04:00AM ]

Shouldn't they just ban smoking in your vehicle altogether? If it is such a big deal that a battery may overheat and start a fire...then if they really cared they would ban smoking since you actually have to light a fire before you can smoke....

6. 6. John [ August 05, 2016 @ 04:13AM ]

As a lifetime non-smoker, I have no personal agenda to support the use of any tobacco, or tobacco alternative product. That being said, wouldn't the use of the "E" smoking products be inherently MORE dangerous in and around the average 4 wheeler, who is powered by gasoline? Diesel is far far less flammable and likely to be a cause of say, a fire that's related to these e-cig/vaping products. It looks to me to be just another story about a "perceived" risk that will give regulators cause to step in and write more laws under the guise of protecting the motoring public. My beef with it, is when will the Feds start writing laws that protect us.....from the motoring public

7. 7. tomkus [ August 05, 2016 @ 05:08AM ]

I am suspect that the number of these "incidents" is not published in this article. I recall an instance where a plastic GI Joe ignited a field, but issuing a warning about the toy would have been as useless as government can get, considering that was the second time that afternoon my friend and I strapped a rocket motor to his back and sent him into the wild blue yonder without proper aerodynamic balancing or fire suppression. The fire chief and owner were very understanding.
    Now folks, you might try refining your insults so you don't portray yourself as just falling out of the toilet into the sewer yourself. I appreciate Bill's comment, but there's no way I'm going to quote it even though most second graders can insult a deserving soul , such as Joseph and the FMCS, with a much more pungent string of profanity.

8. 8. Evie [ August 05, 2016 @ 05:44AM ]

Non-smoker here. As an owner, I am concerned about e-cigs usage, from a safety standpoint, but not what is listed here. Huge vapor clouds are emitted from hearty inhalers that may impair visibility within the vehicle, fog up the windshield (HUMID PLACE IS LOUISIANA), and create a wonderful breeding ground for mold inside my trucks..... please disspell my concerns.......

9. 9. Bill_01 [ August 05, 2016 @ 05:58AM ]

I believe that folks should mind their own business and keep their noses out of others business. That being said, if I desire to smoke regular cigarette's or electronic cigarette's, its my own business and I will tell the da*n "Tree Huggers and anti-smoking liberal progressives exactly where to go if and when they try to interject their opinion into my personal business. If that not enough, then I'll knock their da*n teeth down their throats. "Problem Solved."

10. 10. ANTHONY Bellard [ August 05, 2016 @ 06:11AM ]

just another window for the Feds to crawl in like street scum thieves,and I don't smoke. Wake up people, Russia once said they would take over the USA without firing a single bullet in the 1950s,,take a look at what's in DC..I think there is some truth to the statement. The Progressive crowd sure don't help matters.

11. 11. Tony [ August 05, 2016 @ 06:52AM ]

I've been vaping for 2 years, I have 3 regulated mods and have never had battery problems. The ones in the news are improperly set up unregulated mods and improperly stored batteries mods like that are not the average ones bought by people they are generally for the hobbiest who has a good understanding of battery safety. Vaping is far more safe than smoking and won't leave that nasty residue all over things that smoking does. My advice for someone considering an unregulated mod is stick to a good regulated mod unless you know what your doing and don't carry it or batteries in your pocket.

12. 12. Johnboy [ August 06, 2016 @ 06:26PM ]

Vote for Gary Johnson and you can smoke where you da*n well please!!!!