Independence Day Weekend Spells Opportunity for Cargo Thieves
July 02, 2014
FreightWatch International is recommending keeping a close eye on your freight this weekend to avoid cargo theft.
Holiday weekends are notorious for showing increased cargo theft. Organized theft rings are active and understand holiday weekends cause shipments to be unattended for extended periods of time.
Thefts occurring over Independence Day weekends between 2010 and 2013 had an average value of $257,016. Nine separate incidents involving cargo valued over $250,000 were recorded during this period.
FreightWatch recommends that logistics and security professionals ensure security protocols are up to date and in line with industry best practices for both in-transit and warehouse operations. Both will be heavily targeted over the weekend.
Notable Thefts from Previous Fourth of July Weekends:
- $2.5 million FTL theft of cell phones in Miami, Fla.
- $406K FTL theft of medical equipment in Duval, Fla.
- FTL theft of Rx/Scheduled medication in Troy, Ill.
- $80K theft from trailer of OTC medication in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- $500K facility burglary of televisions in Medley, Fla.