Rand McNally Launches TND 720 GPS Truck Navigation
June 2012, TruckingInfo.com - Feature
Rand McNally's new IntelliRoute TND 720 is a 7-inch truck GPS device with two advanced features: Wi-Fi connectivity, allowing for real-time weather information and display, and new hardware with ruggedized casing, video input and brighter screen.
The Wi-Fi feature was designed so that drivers can connect using their enabled smart phones as Wi-Fi hotspots â€“ allowing for real-time updates while on the road.
Wi-Fi connectivity enables the transmission and display of weather as well as other real-time information. The Wi-Fi feature was designed so that drivers can connect using their enabled smartphones as Wi-Fi hotspots - allowing for real-time updates while on the road.
With Rand McNally's new weather feature, drivers will be able to anticipate delays and other challenges presented by current and forecasted weather with conditions displayed on the map and along the route.
Real-time weather was among the top requests Rand McNally received from "TellRand" submissions from professional drivers. Guided by driver feedback, the feature was developed to view real-time weather situations such as storms, wind speeds and chance of precipitation that may impact the route or delivery times.
"The TND 720 is a big step forward in navigation devices designed for professional drivers with the addition of hardware upgrades and Wi-Fi enabled features," says Dave Muscatel, CEO of Rand McNally. "We understand the unique challenges unforeseen weather presents for professional drivers. Our new weather solution will enable drivers to proactively manage this issue."
The IntelliRoute TND 720 also includes the following additional new features:
- Enhanced truck routing - Including new routing options, such as avoiding state or province and avoiding dirt roads
- Exits Quick View - With a new button on the map screen, drivers can find truck-friendly locations off the upcoming exits along a route
- Fuel logging - For tracking purchases and fuel use
- "Bread-crumb" trails - An option to record and display paths traveled - useful on or off roads
- Increased map customization options - allowing drivers to personalize the way their map appears, specify icons and import third-party POIs into their device.
Beyond software, a number of improvements to the TND 720's hardware platform were incorporated: a new ruggedized design featuring a ridged casing makes the unit easy to grip; a brighter screen that adjusts for low and strong light; and video input for third-party back up cameras.