Fuel Smarts

Insurance Companies Can File Certificates Online

November 08, 2000

SHARING TOOLS        | Print Subscribe
Insurance companies and other financial institutions can now file insurance certificates and other federally required motor carrier compliance information via the Internet.

Under federal regulations, for-hire motor carriers operating in interstate commerce must have proof of liability insurance in required amounts on file with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Insurance companies and other financial institutions send certificates of insurance and cancellation notices directly to FMCSA.
The agency says about 130,000 motor carrier insurance policies are submitted on paper forms each year. Another 300,000 are submitted directly to an electronic database using special software to input the information. The new Internet filing system will speed processing and enable companies to receive insurance confirmation immediately following submission, versus about 10 days required for the paper filing system.
The FMCSA web site already allows commercial truck operators to apply for registration and pay fines for safety violations online. The web site address is http://fhwa-li.volpe.dot.gov.

Comment On This Story

Comment: (Maximum 2000 characters)  
Leave this field empty:
* Please note that every comment is moderated.


We offer e-newsletters that deliver targeted news and information for the entire fleet industry.


ELDs and Telematics

sponsored by
sponsor logo

Scott Sutarik from Geotab will answer your questions and challenges

View All

Sleeper Cab Power

Steve Carlson from Xantrex will answer your questions and challenges

View All