DOT To Evaluate ITS Projects
March 24, 2000
The U.S. Department of Transportation has selected seven Intelligent Transportation Systems projects for national evaluation.
The projects are part of the ITS integration program mandated by Congress to accelerate integration and interoperability of ITS in metropolitan and rural areas.
Funding for the seven evaluations is $1.5 million. DOT said the sites, chosen from 67 candidates, were "the most promising for filling infomation gaps about the benefits and costs of some of the newer ITS technologies and for documenting newer, successful ways of doing business."
The projects are:
- Silicon Valley, CA, Smart Corridor improvements project on I-880/SR 17 to support integration and information sharing among and across intelligent transportation subsystems.
- Riverside, CA, demonstration program testing the application of ITS technologies for public transportation providers.
- Seattle, WA, I-5 corridor multimodal traveler information system design and implementaton; state routes 2 and 97 Traveler Information Project; and ferry terminal traveler information improvements.
- Spokane, WA, traveler information system along SR 395 between Spokane and the Canadian border. This goal is to create a comprehensive and integrated roadway traveler information system that will communicate to the public and road maintenance crews information such as current weather conditions, road surface conditions, border crossings, flooding and slides.
- New Jersey TRANSMIT system for managing incidents and traffic developed by TRANSCOM, a coalition of 15 transportation agencies in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
- Delaware River Port Authority Pennsylvania Smartbridges, a group of technology enhancement projects including traffic signal control for bridges, traffic flow management, incident response and management, and electronic toll collection as well as safety enhancements and regional traveler information.
- Dade County Sunguide regional initiative using Advanced Traveler Information System to help reduce congestion.