Fleet Management

Trucking Alliance Applauds Trump for Sticking with ELD Rule

December 19, 2017

On Dec. 18, when the electronic logging device mandate went into effect, The Alliance for Driver Safety & Security, also known as the Trucking Alliance, applauded the Trump Administration’s decision to maintain rule.

The group, a coalition of transportation companies working to reduce large truck accidents, injuries and fatalities, acknowledged that the Trump Administration could have delayed the requirement, pending a congressional appeal but ultimately chose not to. The Trucking Alliance praised the President for prioritizing public safety over other interests.

“Installing ELDs in commercial trucks will improve the lifestyle and pay scale of our nation’s commercial drivers and play an important role in reducing large truck crashes on our nation’s highways,” said Steve Williams, founder and president of The Trucking Alliance. “Congress mandated ELDs in 2012, as part of MAP-21, and the Trump Administration could have delayed the requirement, pending a congressional repeal, but we have President Trump and his administration to thank for supporting public safety above anything else.”

The coalition contends the rulet will improve road safety by reducing driver fatigue. Opponents of the ELD mandate may object to the intrusion on their daily activities, but Williams stated that operating commercial trucks on U.S. highways carries with it a moral and ethical responsibility to the public to operate as safely as possible.

“Operating an 80,000-pound commercial semi-truck on a public roadway is not some entitlement to do as you please, but a privilege, and that requires sharing the road with millions of motorists,” said Williams. “ELDs will hold everyone in our industry accountable and assure the public that commercial drivers respect our federal laws.”

The group also expects ELDs to improve the working environment for truckers, forcing an improvement to supply chain efficiency from shippers, receivers, brokers, and others-- rather than forcing drivers to adjust their logbooks to make it all work.

“The nation’s supply chain shouldn’t place its inefficiencies on the backs of our nation’s truck drivers,” said Williams.  “We’ll finally have the information needed to improve the quality of the driving experience for commercial truck drivers.”

Comments

1. 1. Pat [ December 19, 2017 @ 05:40PM ]

Trump wont get my vote again!

2. 2. Lynda B. [ December 19, 2017 @ 06:04PM ]

A colossal failure to protect small businesses from governmental intrusion. Give it a rest. The ELD has nothing to do with safety. I counted 32 trucks parked on a single NJ highway last night. How safe is that? The ELD doesn't properly communicate with my own ECM, so now what? How do I recoup those lost funds if I have to buy another ELD? How many do I have to try? Or, do you want me to throw away my truck and buy a new one of those too? Saves time and work? I have to run a ELD that doesn't work, (should I even certify the logs? They show ZERO miles.) AND keep my good old paper log too. THIS DOESN'T MAKE ME ANY SAFER AT ALL, only more hurried, playing beat the clock. Oh, and lying here when you're telling me to sleep at 8:52pm when I'm not tired. That makes me safer too? I operate a massive piece of equipment, but that doesn't automatically make me unsafe on the road. How many of you sitting there behind your desks stomp of the accelerator when you leave, just to get in front of that truck? Take a look in the mirror. EDUCATE, DON'T LEGISLATE.

3. 3. Pw [ December 19, 2017 @ 07:16PM ]

ELD'S are not safer im stressed out racing against the clock trying to plan route, miles and min. Even go over by a min shows an infraction so do i now only drive 10 hrs. Just stop the fricken clock when i go off duty and give some grace time to get to nearest truck stop SPLIT THE SHIFT!!

4. 4. Albert [ December 19, 2017 @ 09:57PM ]

Trump wake up stop listening to idiots from ATA. They are nothing about safety, it's about the money. The only thing this mandate going to do is kill innocents and run our country to depression

5. 5. Z.man [ December 20, 2017 @ 04:40AM ]

I sold my trailer in August and tried to sell my good old truck as well just to quit from trucking, after 12 years being independent. What happened...a good friend of mine called me to stop selling my truck because the his company needs a good guy to help them out. Okay. I returned to drive and it's fine. They pay everything hub miles, waiting, fuel cap, all of those permits and authorities, IFTA, insurance, tolls etc. I just have to fix my truck. Dispatch give me the whole week job to do forward. That's the way in trucking. ELD works this way! I wish all of the truckers the best and merry Christmas! I'll pray for you guys and hope everyone of you will get a job as mine!

6. 6. Kendell [ December 20, 2017 @ 08:42AM ]

Elds tell the driver when they can sleep and when to drive. It is not about safety. Look at the records of all the maga companies. Their accident rates have went up being on elds. It forces them to drive and RACE the clock.

7. 7. Richard Davis [ December 20, 2017 @ 08:44AM ]

Of course, they applaud Trump because they are a bunch of MORONS, just like him. Even his own secretary of state Tillerson said Trump was a MORON. Trump is for the big and rich. Don't really know why people didn't or couldn't see that.Trump is a LIAR. He said he would do away with bad regs. that cost money and jobs. If ELDs are for safety, what happened in NJ with the Wal-Mart truck. Why didn't the ELD stop that accident? Didn't the truck also have a few more so-called safety devices on the truck? Could the accident have been prevented, if not for ELDs or these regulations? Where the driver could stop his clock and take a nap and still make his destination on time?

8. 8. Tyson [ December 20, 2017 @ 08:51AM ]

If they are safer then why do the big carriers on elds have so many accidents verses the the smaller ones not on elds?

9. 9. Jim Grant [ December 20, 2017 @ 04:59PM ]

ELD don't have a damn thing to do with safety. Its all still about government over reach. The ATA has politicians getting there pockets lined. If it is a government mandate then why isn't there 1 ELD program for every damn truck on the road. I can go to Google playstore and get 75 different apps for ELD....Which one is FMCSA compliant

10. 10. Jeff grindstaff [ December 21, 2017 @ 06:16PM ]

Unbelievable that a man i worked so hard as a voleteer on his campaign to help get elected has now turned his back on the american trucking industry i recieve updates from him & the white house regulary & constant asking to contribute to the gop to help him further his agenda after several long e-mails since mon. 18th with no response i feal forsaken and expressed my diss satisfaction that if all the obama administation's legislated actions he has overturned this is the 1 thing he decides to not overturn delay or respond in any way i further more expressed that iy's not a bunch of complaining tuck drivers asking him to delay or do away with thru executive action it is several congress men, senitors small buiss. mens acc. even the ceo's of the largest carriers that curently use eld's have made speaches gave seminars & made several trips to washinton to explain why this is a bad idea for our country the consumer and the trucking industry in a whole he supposedly stands for less intrusive goverment in our lifes ? and i also express how obama's idea on fixing health worked so well for us all this eld rule was intended to hurt our countrys economy by slowing down the movement of freight wich it will acording to experts could take upto a yr to get freight movement going again & it will never reach the level it is now consumer prices will increase due to poor volume of freat movement more cost of shipping and good by timed sensitive freight that a lot of producers rely on to control cost by keeping less money tied up in inventory because the were able to rely on the efficency of the trucking industry to get them there row goods needed to mfg there product and what happen to his do away with nafta deal i also relayed to our president that the canadians truckin down here capitalize on our great freught rate lower fuel cost and no eld's once again americans take it up the back side for another country not that any one cares but me and my family 37 yrs of being a otr truckdriver accident free to boot has i now foresee going to be just a memory like the left lane being know as the monfort lane & being a real truck driver was a thing to be proud of i did also relay that hevan for bid next natural disaster that hits our country & fema ask the trucking idustry to through out there log book for get the rules we've materials to deliver food & water supply people need and every day esential hop to it boys or next military build up in another country who does the goverment turn to fastly & effecintly move there fuel equipment arms weapons vehicles quickly efficently and damage free to air bases and navel ports it sure as hell isnt the companys in either case with 65 mph govered trucks and companys running elogs well fellas it was a good run while it lasted and we were all a part of sonething that was stuff they'll be writeing books about us guys someday refering to us like the poney express riders when they use to say truck drivers are a dying breed i didnt know they ment us i guess the real truck drivers left are ina state of shock unsure what to do i know i sure am and it was a fantastic brother we all knew would someday be gone just like cb radios helping other drivers out & turning off your headlight for a passing truck not blinding him with your brights thanx for 37 yrs of a unbelievable journry guys good luck to each & every one of you god bless you and your family and merry christmas it was a blast

11. 11. Dustin [ December 22, 2017 @ 12:15AM ]

ELDs were simply put in place so the AMCA (American mega carrier alliance. More formally known as the ATA) can run the independents and small companies out of business. Why do you think the guys getting the 90 day exemption (ag haulers, Ups, etc) are ones that large companies have no interest in hauling? I bet some of the carriers who got 90 days will get a full pass vome april. Swift, primr, etc has no interest in hauling that freight. But once they undercut rates and run the little guys out theyll double or triple their rates cause theyll have a monopoly. Then sit back and rake in money while still paying their drivers poverty wage. This will continue untill automated trucks take hold and then theyll really make a killing. Its disgusting.

12. 12. Marc [ December 22, 2017 @ 03:23AM ]

It is very obvious that the people who wrote tis article have no idea what the trucking industry is like ....how do people who have no idea what is going have a job in an industry they are not qualified to be at .......

13. 13. Brian White [ December 22, 2017 @ 03:35AM ]

Has anyone else noticed that numerous large groups promote themselves as being “for the driver”, yet advocate for everything that comes down the pike that ultimately screws the driver? I fail to see how the use of an ELD will raise my pay. And as far as promoting safety is concerned, we don’t ANY of the groups advocate for education of the private motorist to learn what to do/not do around big trucks?

Answer: Because they’re fine right where they’re at, raking in he big bucks, sitting in their cushy offices on their fat butts.

I am SOOOOOOOOO glad I’m near retirement.

14. 14. Shaina [ December 22, 2017 @ 03:58AM ]

Well since being on ELD I’ve found myself having to consistently run 6-7 hours straight through to “beat the clock” to get to a destination. This happens 3-4 days a week. Can’t even stop to pee because it’s taking away from my driving time. 3-4 days a week I’m finding myself with 2-3 mins left on my clock. Not because I’m running out of drive time but because my 14 catches me. But while waiting 2-3 hours to load I lose all my extra time and then am forced to push limits to get where I need to be so I don’t waste hours the following day. So please someone explain to me how this is safer, having to constantly be in a hurry. And don’t tell me “you need to plan better” it has nothing to do with planning when you live load and live unload every load. I can not determine how long a customer is going to hold me up. Or how long it will take me to safely secure and properly secure a load to a flatbed. ELD has forced drivers to park along side more roadways because the truck stops are full by 4. Please someone explain to me where this is safer than drivers being able to continue 15 miles down the road to find a better parking place. The ELD was coming, due to technology advances in the country, however how about some research on how the industry really moves and functions because the way the rules are now, is not working.

15. 15. Cliff [ December 22, 2017 @ 04:26AM ]

Steve Williams of the Alliance needs to be taken in for a drug screen. His comments show that he is indeed on some illicit substance. As a veteran of the Cold War era, it is truly sad to see that which we served to protect America from, Communism, turned out to be what many Americans really wanted all along.

16. 16. John Caracci [ December 22, 2017 @ 04:41AM ]

With all the crash data out there. I have yet to see the data that shows where the driver's, who were involved in these crashes, were on their 14 hour clock. Were they O/O or Company, paper log or ELD. I believe this unpublished unavailable data is extremely important and is purposely being hidden. ATA and FMCSA know this information is damaging to their claims of E-LOGS will make the industry SAFER.
    Side note, I ran with elog and paper. I am indifferent. I want to see the data so I can have an unbiased conclusion.

17. 17. Kevin Macleod [ December 22, 2017 @ 05:13AM ]

So..mr.williams how about you and buddys in favor of ELD tell the rest of the world that there is data out there that support the facts. That in the last 2 years 80% of trucks involved in accidents had already installed ELD... So now i bet if you took all them trucks with in the 80% margins and took a really close look you going find a big carrier name, and a driver that is not been licensed for more the couple years.. But then again thats probably fake news like all you people that got your hand in the cookie jar inforcing slavery... cause with elds we are going make less money and less time home with our family's.. and ELDS will NOT MAKE THE HIGHWAYS SAFER.

18. 18. Kurbie smelser [ December 22, 2017 @ 05:18AM ]

Well it's only good for me my rates have gone up I sit more rates will go threw the roof when not enough trucks to haul them receivers who don't accommodate for me setting there when I'm don't won't get there stuff till I can make my log right cry if you want but my meat loads immediately went up when it hit my truck Bronx load payed 3500 hundred now I'm getting 4300 hundread so if they want a screw them selfs all I say is pay me stupids

19. 19. wtmarxjr [ December 22, 2017 @ 05:35AM ]

They praised the President for prioritizing public safety over other interests?? I think what they meant is they praised the President for prioritizing THEIR interests over public safety.

20. 20. Steve [ December 22, 2017 @ 07:03AM ]

I hope the souls of all the people they are going to get killed haunt these greedy lowlife scumbags for the rest of their days. No better than the ones who knowingly sold asbestos products to schools and baby clothing makers claiming it was safer for the children because it is flame retardant. Also, give me a break about the rates going up. Mandate went into effect on Monday, van and reefer national averages dropped on Tuesday.

21. 21. Michael [ December 22, 2017 @ 08:10AM ]

How can they say the ELDS will improve PAY?Drivers are going to lose pay cause their miles will decrease.The ELDS is a BIG MISTAKE!they say parking is a problem,its really going to be a problem.the ELDS is what is going to get me to leave OTR and go back to local driving.

22. 22. Devon Brown [ December 22, 2017 @ 08:38AM ]

The reason y Donald didn't roll back the ELD r scrap it all together..it is plain and simple it didn't sign into law by OBAMA R ELSE IT WOULD BE LONG GONE .

23. 23. Scott [ December 22, 2017 @ 09:03AM ]

"Installing ELDs in commercial trucks will improve the lifestyle and pay scale of our nation’s commercial drivers and play an important role in reducing large truck crashes on our nation’s highways,” said Steve Williams, founder and president of The Trucking Alliance. “

Who in the hell does this guy think he is and what in the hell does he know about life on the road? You think my lifestyle will increase because my wife has to wait an extra day for me to get home or that I'll be smiling when I'm stuck on a freaking on ramp when my clock ran out? How about when I have to shut down 60-70 miles sooner because I know the clock will run out and I don't want to spend the night in the middle of nowhere so now I lose that mileage just to keep the clock happy? And by the way, forcing everyone to adhere to the 14 hour clock only makes most drives rush faster to get their miles in before time is up! That's safer?? This guy is delusional!!

24. 24. Jc [ December 22, 2017 @ 10:12AM ]

I will lose 25% of my annual income on elogs.
    I was late to my first appointment after installing the eld. Now that I've been using elogs ,Im stressed out on a minute to minute basis , Ive developed insomnia because I have to try to sleep whe my eld tells me not when im actually tired.I'll be quitting the trucking business in a few months. I was a company driver with paper logs for many years and and I was finally able to go off and start my own trucking company 18 months ago. Took a while to get things going and after the first year,things were starting to look good.Now with this new law in effect my business will not survive more than 3 months. Before elogs I was on track to add another truck and trailer in the next 6 months. Don't see how this law is making America great again.

25. 25. Boky [ December 22, 2017 @ 10:27AM ]

ELD is going to cause much more problems. Computer does not know when I am tired and make preassure on me to drive even if I do not want to. What about traffic jams and lack of parking spaces ?

26. 26. Anthony sanders [ December 22, 2017 @ 11:42AM ]

Let's not speak about training, driver shortage, or driver retention.

26 lives? Seriously? But cigarettes are legal, receiving a DUI only gets you a slap on the wrist along with a fine (not if you hire a great lawyer though), Domestic Violence which leads to a heck of a lot more deaths not only to the family members but is one of the leading causes for law enforcement deaths in the country!

Alcohol! Liquor! Marijuana now! The list goes on and on.

Just follow the money and you'll see where government sticks their greedy hands next.

27. 27. Edwin Torres [ December 22, 2017 @ 12:02PM ]

ELD is just an excuse to make fast and huge amounts of money, they claim 2 Billion dollars just stepping on that super safety "federal law " they talk about, then covered with 26 deaths , when even taking a shower death can occurring..... the truckers are NOT criminals neither killers, the government is the only one killing us, God bless America and Merry Christmas

28. 28. Dave [ December 22, 2017 @ 01:38PM ]

Check the safety stats of the mega carriers spearheading this their fatality rates are unbelievable but that don't matter because the thing they say is about safety is just about big money in trumps pockets and the fmcsa like the other driver said follow the money they can care less about safety if they did they would make those big carriers to where they can't be self insured and if that happened there's not 1 insurance company that would touch them people understand these elds will only force drivers to drive sleepy try to sleep 10 hrs in the back of a truck you can't and the after 5 hrs of sleeping you wake up and have to sit there for 5 more and you guessed it by the time your ready to leave your tired from waiting but guess what I need to get my load delivered so I leave more tired then when I got there

29. 29. Jim Bardsley [ December 22, 2017 @ 01:56PM ]

Mr Williams, the ELD's are not the answer you believe them to be. NHTSA estimates driver fatigue is a factor in approximately 1.8% of CMV crashes. Poor training, less than quality hiring, and coersion are much larger contributors. As well as the fact, yes fact, that automobiles cause between 75 to 80% of the accidents involving CMV's. Look around you in traffic sir, according to law enforcement 1/3 of the cars around you are operating illegally. Insurance issues, license issues, and both alcohol and drug impairment. You state driving a CMV is a privilege, not a right. Well sir, operating any vehicle on a public highway is a privilege,not a right.
    The "gov't shock collars" are not the answer. Much higher training standards, hiring for quality ( not just to fill an available seat, as quick and cheap as possible), and an apprenticeship after initial training would save many more lives, and improve our workplace much more than leashes.Sorry, I don't have a high brow university study to back that up, just 33 yrs of hard experience and observations.

30. 30. George [ December 22, 2017 @ 02:43PM ]

Did mr. Steve Williams slept at nice and cozy house with his family ?

Did Mr. Steve Williams find easy his parking garage ?

Did Mr. Steve Williams had a delicious dinner with his family?

Did Mr. Steve Williams took hot shower last night?

I bet many of truck drivers slept at exit ramps at some dirty places without any kind of utilitys,they did not have a chance to take hot shower because their Hours is fliyng by them and they have many pressure than before. They have not been with their family and many of them won't make it at home for a christmas. So Mr. Steve William just stop at the nearest truck stop and ask the real truck driver what is better for him, just start working on better HOS instead of apllaud something what put more pressure to all truck drivers. I think you have to applaud all truck driver for delivering you favorite thing,yor favorite food and your Christmas gifts instead to applaud how good is ELD. They have to put ELD in your car and tomorrow to sleep 10 miles away from your home at the very nasty parking lot without any running utilities to see how is the real live behind the wheel .

31. 31. Steve [ December 22, 2017 @ 04:22PM ]

So called sick Trucking Alliance.You are not more than an insult to the Trucking Industry, Are you still lying ?

32. 32. Kris Krug [ December 22, 2017 @ 04:28PM ]

I am now forced to drive tired and stressed beyond belief by this distracting ELD.Career destroying ATA applauding Trump is sickening!I will be against the garbage ATA(american trucking association ) in any way possible that I can. Trump should of delayed this unorganized and dangerous ELD mandate... but spoke nothing of it this whole time.

33. 33. Ksolo [ December 22, 2017 @ 04:30PM ]

I am going to call it like i see it.all of you so called Republican truck drivers just F##ked your selves and everyone else buy siding with the very people that are looking to automate your job im a few years.And if trump was the answer then it must have been a stupid question.#MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN FOR LARGE COMPANIES)So we can punish the stupid mf that vote agenst there own self interest.

34. 34. Scott Friede [ December 22, 2017 @ 05:46PM ]

Go. Fuck. Yourself.

35. 35. Steve [ December 23, 2017 @ 01:43PM ]

LMAO !! Highway Safety ??? Every trucker with an ELD is playing Beat the Clock and they are responsible for 93 % of the truck wrecks. The ELDs were all about $$$$ to those invested in the companies that make em.

36. 36. john matthews [ December 27, 2017 @ 02:49PM ]

it just put me out of bus.

37. 37. Richard Davis [ December 28, 2017 @ 01:39PM ]

Wake up people { Albert } Trump is an idiot also, just like the people at the ATA. He could care less about you or the working class. He only cares about himself and money.

38. 38. Alex [ December 31, 2017 @ 08:40PM ]

Steve williams is,maverick president, an asshole and a scab ,such bs ,he and his,cheap ass company using govt funds to buy brand new trucks. He is a total buffoon and lier

39. 39. Ice Bear [ January 03, 2018 @ 05:08PM ]

Hurts don't it? It's the only real reason people voted for him.

40. 40. Tyler Bassett [ January 10, 2018 @ 08:42AM ]

Stup to clap because your driver just quit. Ill make sure to tell people why they don't want to drive for you. Good luck with all your upcoming lawsuits from the convicts and teenager's who you plan on replacing us experienced drivers with. My Kids not driving for you so let that sink in.

41. 41. iunis [ January 19, 2018 @ 06:51AM ]

I estimate by Jun 200.000 drivers will have quit, just like the 70s reset rule, I had 2 inspection yesterday 1oregon,1 california for ELD,this clowns have forgot 1776 was all about

42. 42. Parker [ January 31, 2018 @ 04:54PM ]

Steve Williams thinks we’re going to make more money!?!? If anything it’s cost me extra loads. If a man want to and needs to work let him! Let it be a choice!