Fleet Management

ATA Leaders and Road Team Captains Deliver Policy Message to Trump

March 23, 2017

Photo: ATA
Photo: ATA

American Trucking Associations members and a contingent of America’s Road Team Captains visited the White House for a conversation about issues affecting the trucking industry, including health care.

“Trucking is the backbone of the nation’s economy. We employ 1 in 16 people in the U.S. Driving a truck is the top job in 29 states,” said Chris Spear, ATA President and CEO. “Trucking moves 70% of the nation’s freight and 56% of GDP. To grow our economy, we need to take care of the people that move America forward.”

Health care reform was on the top of the list of issues that ATA brought to discuss with the president. The lobby said that truckers and their families require good, affordable health care to be safe and professional.

“The 7.3 million people who work in the trucking industry – of which 3.5 million are professional truck drivers – have a common thread – to be safe and dependable and that requires a healthy professional behind the wheel,” said Kevin Burch, ATA Chairman and president of Jet Express. “We are here to tell you, Mr. President, that the trucking industry will support you as you work towards solving America’s health care challenges. In addition, we look forward to working with you on improving our workplace, which is our highways.”

A number of member executives joined ATA Chairman Kevin Burch and America’s Road Team Captain Don Logan to deliver the message. ATA was also able to bring its Image Truck, Interstate One, and a trailer provided by Jet Express featuring the "Trucking Moves America Forward" imaging campaign, hauled by ATA’s Share the Road Truck.

“Truck drivers are in all 50 states – every single day. As a driver, we feel the weight of the numerous regulations placed on us, as well as our companies – and those that we serve,” said Logan, America’s Road Team Captain and a truck driver with FedEx Freight, from Eskridge, Kan. “We proudly stand with you in your effort to improve the current healthcare law, making it easier for us to make a living and serve America.”

Comments

1. 1. MC [ March 24, 2017 @ 08:15AM ]

After basically ignoring everything Mr. Burch, Mr. Logan and company had to say, Pres.Trump responds " I know some very smart people with a plan, and the plan is going to be great, believe me!". Then Pres. Trump goes back to texting his lawyers that are suing a 17 year-old girl for her kitten website, then follows that up with tweeting some paranoid nonsense he heard from a guest panelist on Fox News.

2. 2. Carlton [ March 24, 2017 @ 07:11PM ]

I guess they were there to promote ELD too, the biggest job killer ever.

3. 3. Joey hoeck [ March 25, 2017 @ 02:55PM ]

Let them promote the elog law when thousands of drivers leave trucking all together they can put on work boots and haul the shit themselves!

4. 4. Joey hoeck [ March 25, 2017 @ 02:57PM ]

Let them promote elogs. When the law gpes onto affect in december, thousands of drivers will stop trucking and they can haul the shit them selves!

5. 5. David William Kemp [ March 31, 2017 @ 02:32AM ]

We are the only job in America that works two full time shifts daily but gets screwed out of overtime, double time, is usually treated as though we are not worthy of even bathroom use. We need to go back to hourly pay so that we get paid for the additional hours our job requires . The unskilled classification has to go as well let's see them drive these top heavy monsters in all types of weather, traffic, and days. The problem is we do not band together so we get no rights

6. 6. Bob Rutherford [ March 31, 2017 @ 07:44AM ]

Here is my blog about the healthcare issue for truckers and what I think we need to do about it:

7. 7. Debra Schrock [ March 31, 2017 @ 08:25AM ]

I got out! After 28 yrs. of safe driving I hung it up 2 wks ago. Am now looking for something in Dispatch or Safety in the Rio Grande Valley. I made decent money with absolutely no benefits. No insurance, nothing and the company I worked for was 1099 so had to pay all taxes and Social Security. So when the smoke all cleared I didn't make $20,000 per yrs. I took off a total of 2 wks. Other than that I was in that truck 24/7. My point is that when ELOGs start I probably won't make much over 15,000. I'm tired, and if I'm not going to make any money I quit! Only 61 so have to work somewhere. Maybe Walmart, who knows.

8. 8. billy compton [ March 31, 2017 @ 08:17PM ]

Debra, check out WMart's driver, 99% drop n hook, 100% legal log

9. 9. Sue [ March 31, 2017 @ 09:01PM ]

Debra (and everyone else),
    You'll have to work until the last day of your life if the current administration has its way. Paul Ryan has been, and will continue to push to get rid of Social Securty and Medicare. Silly us, people who thought that some of our taxes would be going to help ourselves survive our "golden years".

10. 10. Steve Bell [ April 01, 2017 @ 12:14PM ]

As long as you are willing to work for nothing ...they will let you ....At least until they can think of a way to charge you to work for the!

11. 11. Paul Van [ April 03, 2017 @ 04:24AM ]

Stop the whining! To blame the President shows how much you really do not know how the system works in Washington, D.C. I have been talking to my legislators for the past 6 months about the ELD's not working, and I have the proof to show them. Whining does not help, but warning them what we as drivers know will happen, and when it does, we can say, "told you So!" I've been injuried since March 1st and I use every day to call my legislators, both State and Federal. I will fight for all of us, but put down facts, no whining please. God Bless America and all us hard working people who are supporting the lower class lazy ones.