Fleet Management

Looming ELD Mandate Tops Trucking Industry Concerns Survey

October 03, 2016

Rebecca Brewster (left), president and chief operating officer of ATRI along with Derek Leathers, ATRI board member and Werner Enterprises president and CEO, give details of ATRI's latest survey of the biggest issues concerning the trucking industry. Photo: Evan Lockridge
Rebecca Brewster (left), president and chief operating officer of ATRI along with Derek Leathers, ATRI board member and Werner Enterprises president and CEO, give details of ATRI's latest survey of the biggest issues concerning the trucking industry. Photo: Evan Lockridge

LAS VEGAS — The American Transportation Research Institute unveiled its top industry issues report showing that the looming implementation of the ELD Mandate is the top concern of carriers and drivers.

The annual survey, which generated more than 3,200 responses from motor carriers and commercial drivers, was released at the American Trucking Associations 2016 Management Conference and Exhibition meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada. In addition to ranking the trucking industry’s top concerns, the report also includes prioritized strategies for addressing each issue.

"The results of ATRI's survey reflect what I've heard from carriers and drivers as I've traveled the country this year on behalf of ATA," said Pat Thomas ATA chairman and senior vice president for state government affairs at UPS. "The ever-increasing regulatory burdens placed on the industry, coupled with the sluggish economy, are creating challenges for trucking as we work hard to keep America moving forward."

More than 65% of respondents were concerned about productivity impacts the industry could experience from fully mandated ELD deployment. Dropping from its top ranking the past three years, Hours-of-Service stayed near the top of the list due to ongoing uncertainty of a final HOS rule.

Ranking third in ATRI’s report was the cumulative economic impacts of trucking regulations, which ATRI says reflects the industry’s collective frustration with increasing and costly regulatory requirements. The lack of available truck parking moved the issue up again this year to fourth overall and the state of the nation’s economy rounds out the top five industry concerns.

"Knowing what the industry is concerned about, and what strategies it views as most promising for addressing each issue, allows ATA and its Federation partners in the states to better focus our collective efforts on behalf of motor carriers and their employees," said Chris Spear, ATA president and CEO. "The ATRI survey results provide the roadmap we need to put wins on the board for this industry and the nation's economy as a whole."

A copy of the survey results is available from ATRI at www.atri-online.org.

Comments

1. 1. curtis [ October 04, 2016 @ 05:08AM ]

I feel these new rules and ELD will cause a driver to get behind the wheel tired most of the people coming up with these ideas have no concept of what goes with driving a truck I myself have been driving since 1979 these people sleep in a regular bed all their lifes try living in a truck for weeks on times .To me being able to pull over when I get tired for a few hours is way more safe than telling me I have to drive 11 hours .like I said before the people making these rules have no clue as to what its like to be a truck driver.and the study they do is BULL

2. 2. Richard [ October 04, 2016 @ 09:01AM ]

Now is the time to get out of the truck,,,It used to be an individual way of life, now it is all about rules, goody two shoes behavior and behaving like the rest of the lemming population this once great country likes.
    Shut em down for 10 days and watch the crap hit the fan...I wish I could witness something like that.

3. 3. Singh [ October 06, 2016 @ 03:12PM ]

100,000 times agree with Curtis and Richard comments

4. 4. Russ [ October 08, 2016 @ 08:20AM ]

Me too

5. 5. LoJack [ October 08, 2016 @ 08:26AM ]

The problem is truckers only comment at places like this, instead of their politicians. It will never happen, but we need to come together and make our voices heard. OOIDA is fighting the fight for us, but we need to help them. The ATA is too big and backed by too much money for OOIDA to compete alone. The perverbial truck is rolling down hill with no brakes left, and I don't see a truck run away ramp anywhere in sight. I agree with the above posts, but talking on here does nothing. Polls do nothing. We need to be heard.

6. 6. Geirge [ October 10, 2016 @ 06:45PM ]

Agree with you. We have to fight for us,not just to read and post comments

7. 7. Richard [ October 11, 2016 @ 09:56AM ]

You are spot on LoJack...But...if you ever mention shutting down to a bunch of truckers you will get the goody two shoes comments about this action hurting innocent people, hurting the country etc.
    This is the very reason the unions are no longer strong, they stopped the violence and harm in negotiations and look at the Teamsters and others now.
    I have been called many names in the past for advocating a national tanker shut down, including medical gasses and telling the gov. to stick it when they told us to go back to work.
    There are not enough drivers left with the cajones to actually do something regardless of harm to others.

8. 8. Sherman Kirk [ October 12, 2016 @ 06:57AM ]

E-logs are going to make me a more aggressive driver, I'll drive faster for one, when I come up on a yellow light getting ready to turn red I'll be more likely to run through instead of stopping because if I stop it'll eat up my time.
    It's going to make a lot of drivers more aggressive and in a bad mood.