Drivers

ATRI Seeks Real-World Data on Truck Parking Challenges

March 21, 2016

The American Transportation Research Institute launched a data collecting initiative seeking real-world information on the daily challenges facing drivers in locating appropriate and safe parking.

ATRI, the research arm of the American Trucking Associations, is recruiting drivers who will keep a 14-day diary of their truck parking issues. The diaries ask drivers to record daily stops related to fuel and food, 30-minute breaks and the mandated 10-hour break. Drivers are asked to record the time and location of stops and how long it took to find available parking. It will also ask for details on the location, amenities and why the driver selected it.

Drivers will also log the amount of time they lost in their duty day if they parked before running out of hours simply to secure available parking.

The data collected by the driver diaries will build on existing knowledge of truck parking shortages by adding qualitative information on driver parking behavior as well as how parking troubles can impact productivity.

"We all talk about how tough it is to find truck parking; ATRI is giving us the chance to document the issues on a national scale so that solutions can be identified and acted on," said David Green, driver for Werner Enterprises and one of the America's Road Team Captains, who will be participating in the diary project.

Drivers interested in participating should go to the ATRI website and complete a brief qualifying survey. Selected drivers will be contacted by email to obtain the diary. The first 100 participants to return their completed Truck Parking Diary will receive a $50 Visa gift card.

Comments

1. 1. Ken Merritt [ March 25, 2016 @ 04:46AM ]

This is a great idea. I wish I was driving, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

2. 2. Steve gross [ March 25, 2016 @ 04:47AM ]

All it takes is to go to truck stops and rest areas after 5 PM, very little or nothing available..

3. 3. Darren Mehler [ March 25, 2016 @ 06:44AM ]

I agree with Steve Gross, I stay at rest areas most of the time if I can't get to my destination and they don't have a place for me to camp out. If you are in California, plan your route carefully. Unless you are very familiar with the entire state, it is very difficult to find a SAFE place to park for the night. BE SAFE FELLOW GEAR JAMMERS, WATCH OUT FOR THEM 4 WHEELERS, CUZ THEY AIN'T WATCHING OUT FOR YOU!!!

4. 4. Anthony Steckly [ March 25, 2016 @ 07:10AM ]

It's a known fact that if you don't find a place to park by 7 or 8 PM you won't find one.

5. 5. Ziegmont [ March 25, 2016 @ 08:45AM ]

While I've been out of a truck for a while now, I ended up rotating my drive schedule to where I started the day at about 3 a.m. This helped me to both be better able to handle 'rush hours' and also to get off the road ahead of the evening crowd while most stops still have enough spaces open to make for an easier time settling in for the night.

6. 6. James Roberts-Jonas [ March 25, 2016 @ 12:03PM ]

The worst place for me is Miami. City does not allow overnight truck parking. The few places they do have are full by three in the afternoon, and it's $35 a night. I had to go back north 125 miles to find a place to park, then turn around and come back the next morning.

7. 7. Shelley johnson [ March 25, 2016 @ 02:57PM ]

Ten miles out of Miami is weston and there is truck parking at the grass hut. Well we call it the grass hut lol. It's a store and a grass hut outdoor restaurant... 20 bucks I think. Great place to eat.

8. 8. Joe [ March 25, 2016 @ 05:10PM ]

We not only need parking overnight, but parking within cities when we wait to unload or wait for docks to open up and shipper/receivers to open their gates. You can't have a 7 am delivery in places like Miami, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta and expect to drive in in the morning-crazy! Thus, we need not just parking-but more truckstops in the cities where we can get food, use the restroom and such. Furthermore, some small towns we deliver in have no truck parking for 30-40 miles-never a thought from cities and states thinking a trucker needs a place to park in their town for an hour or overnight. Has anyone ever seen a parking spot on a city street painted-out and designated-"18-wheelers only? " This problem has been left to truckstop operators and its about time we have state-run truckstops where the chain ones will not locate to. Even the new industrial parks are poorly planned with no places to park and wait-many times we have to park beside a "No Parking" sign and hope the police don't bother us. I have personally driven across Tennessee at night 3 hours over my 11 looking for parking. Miami is absolutely the worst place to find any parking any time of day. Truckstops have taken advantage of this fact and charge for parking in all shortage areas. Every experienced trucker can tell you its a critical situation almost everywhere in this country.

9. 9. Rick [ April 11, 2016 @ 05:58AM ]

And they want to make E-Logs mandatory for everyone in 2017. We will have to start looking for a spot to park at noon instead of 3 or 4pm; like we do now.

10. 10. Buckley [ June 17, 2016 @ 03:51PM ]

I'd like to know if a driver had a secure yard with access to movie theaters, food, motel within walking distance (1/4 mile) what would a fair rate for 12 hours in central California be ?